Adjusting a Calkins roller trailer?

HaleSeezer

Cadet
When I bought my boat, it came on an old Calkins roller trailer. I have no title or registration for the trailer as it isn't required in Wisconsin and the boat doesn't leave the state, so I don't know how old it is. I only know from the previous owner that the trailer is not original to the boat. I am concerned because the rollers rest on the chines of the hull when the boat is centered on the trailer. It usually loads a little off to one side or the other so that rarely happens. I was wondering if there is a way to adjust the rollers side to side on a trailer like this. This is not my trailer but the roller set up is the same: 110331 Getting the Calkins Trailer (4).jpg Any thoughts?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Adjusting a Calkins roller trailer?

104_7526.jpg104_7235.jpg

I have that exact trailer and the rear bogey rusted to the point where it was unsafe. Unfortunately there is no adjustment on the rollers so you are stuck. I replaced both bogeys with bunks. It turned out that with the bunks on top of the frame, the hull strakes rested quite nicely on them. If I remember correctly, the rear rollers are mounted off center so it is possible to remove the clamp and reverse them so the outside rollers are about an inch more inboard---but I would not want to try it, the screw holding the clamps is probably rust welded in forever. Besides, while it is difficult to tell from the photo, it looks like the rollers are already closer inboard.

If you do decide to keep the rear bogey: The keel roller usually sits lower than the back so the tube will collect and hold water. Drill a 1/4 inch hole in the bottom center of the tube to weep the water and prevent (hopefully) rust-through.

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

That's where they should rest. Or, are you confusing chines with strakes?

HaleSeezer

Cadet

Maybe I'm getting confused...the rollers are resting against the small ribs that run the length of the underside of the hull. I'd post pics but the boat is 3 hours away and I won't see it again for a few months (at least until it warms up around here). I'd like to just get another trailer since this one has no title (bought and kept in wisconsin, not required), the tires are completely dry-rotted and I'm pretty sure the springs are shot. the gets stored on the trailer and only has to travel about 200 feet to the ramp in the campground. I'm just trying to figure out if it's worth it to get it to fit the boat and fix it up or cut my losses and find a new trailer. Craigslist hasn't turned up anything worth messing with as of yet.
thanks for the replies!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Be patient, the season is still early. Wait and watch the Chicago CL, trailers of that size pop up almost daily throughout the season. And if you are traveling back and forth from Wis. then watch the Milwaukee CL also. I can tell you from watching these areas that trailers of that size are selling consistantly in the $300.00 range for nice ones.

HaleSeezer

Cadet

I had been keeping an eye on the milwaukee and janesville areas but most of the trailers anywhere near that size don't have titles. I want to be able to plate it so I can bring it home every so often to work on it. Guess I'll have to just keep looking. I'm sure more trailers will start to pop up again once it warms up and people start boating again around here.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

Yes titled trailers are a little harder to come by but they are out there. Again be patient and I assure you that you will find what you're looking for. Once the end of March rolls around they should start popping up.

Living on the Illinois/Wisconsin border I've started making that a requirement also when looking at boats and trailers because it's just too difficult to try and sell to Illinois residents w/o a trailer title. And Illinois makes it almost impossible to obtain one. I title my trailers here in Wisconsin even though it's not required to plate smaller trailers.

Mud Puppy

Petty Officer 1st Class

(bought and kept in wisconsin, not required)

I'm sure things are very different in Wisconsin than there are here in Missouri, but my old trailer was licensed in Arkansas and the original title had been lost at some point. The last owner had gotten it titled as a "Home Made" trailer. All completely legal in both states down here and may be something you could research through your local DMV or a call to the Department of Transportation in your state.

If you get a conformation that you CAN, be sure to get a contact name and extension from them to have as ammo if your local has an issue with it. Our DMVs are contractors and sometimes are unaware of some of the nuances of state law.

Something if you should ever want it tagged.

HaleSeezer

Cadet

I did look into getting it titled and tagged. Got info on taking care of it in both Wisconsin and Indiana. My problem is trying to make the trailer fit the boat. The rollers don't line up right and judging by what I've read on this forum it needs almost everything else too.

I rewired all the lights but the tires are ancient and the springs are probably shot. Not a big deal right now since I only have to pull it a few hundred feet to the ramp and back. I'm more than likely just gonna look for a new (used) trailer and scrap or sell this one.

If I could make it fit the boat I'd work on fixing, titling and plating it but it sounds like the trailer isn't adjustable and the registration process is too much of a hassle to be worth it.

Thanks again for all the replies! Hopefully this info can help someone else too. Not a whole lot of info out there on these odd trailers

Last edited: