Winch question - electric or manual

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Read up on a couple old threads here and I'm a bit more confused than when I started.

Boat in sig line in question, bunks with glides on them which made it much easier but still too much. I crank, back in, crank, back in, etc. Truck is 3500 Cummins with 2 batteries.

Typical ramp is about 30%+ incline (Tim's Ford lake) other times about 10% (Guntersville). The latter is ok to load. Usually only have about 15' of pull onto the trailer. I'm a 'dunker' but not too much when loading especially on the steep inclines; the boat won't center properly.

Boat dry @ 4000 lbs, loaded probably not more than 5000 lbs (75 gallon fuel).

Why do some electric winches have a length limit? Example Master Lock Electric Trailer Winch - 2,000 lbs. Master Lock Winches 2953AT has an 18' limit yet has a 30' cable? And given the weight of my boat, and the fact that I have bunk glides should this sbe enough?

What is the advantage of buying a $175 hand winch versus what appears to be a workable power winch in the same dollar range? Dutton-Lainson Company - Since 1886 versus Black Bear Sporting Goods - Hunting, Archery, Fishing, Camping, Hiking, Boating, & more.. I don't mind winching, if it is effective but if I don't have to, why not?

Won't double up with a pulley will stay single line and even the 'slow' ones at 6' per minute would only be only 3-4 minutes max time and the Black Bear Sporting Goods - Hunting, Archery, Fishing, Camping, Hiking, Boating, & more. has a 6-8 minute run time so should be good.

Thought? Opinions?

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Winch question - electric or manual

Read up on a couple old threads here and I'm a bit more confused than when I started.

Boat in sig line in question, bunks with glides on them which made it much easier but still too much. I crank, back in, crank, back in, etc. Truck is 3500 Cummins with 2 batteries.

Typical ramp is about 30%+ incline (Tim's Ford lake) other times about 10% (Guntersville). The latter is ok to load. Usually only have about 15' of pull onto the trailer. I'm a 'dunker' but not too much when loading especially on the steep inclines; the boat won't center properly.

Boat dry @ 4000 lbs, loaded probably not more than 5000 lbs (75 gallon fuel).

I would say you need to modify your trailer. Only boat I ever had, which I could not drive on was my 1966 Tri-hull Signa many years ago. Only reason I didn't fix it was money was tight. My cruiser had a similar issue until I fixed the trailer bunks. Bunk trailers can be made to straighten the boat up if your a bit off. My Rinker trailer will straighten the boat up due to fast river current from about 45 degrees off and still center it.

Why do some electric winches have a length limit? Example Master Lock Electric Trailer Winch - 2,000 lbs. Master Lock Winches 2953AT has an 18' limit yet has a 30' cable? And given the weight of my boat, and the fact that I have bunk glides should this sbe enough?

Don't know for sure but it could be torque. As the cable comes in the spool gets larger and torque decreases.

What is the advantage of buying a $175 hand winch versus what appears to be a workable power winch in the same dollar range? Dutton-Lainson Company - Since 1886 versus Black Bear Sporting Goods - Hunting, Archery, Fishing, Camping, Hiking, Boating, & more.. I don't mind winching, if it is effective but if I don't have to, why not?

Won't double up with a pulley will stay single line and even the 'slow' ones at 6' per minute would only be only 3-4 minutes max time and the Black Bear Sporting Goods - Hunting, Archery, Fishing, Camping, Hiking, Boating, & more. has a 6-8 minute run time so should be good.

Thought? Opinions?

Hand winches I find are usually more durable then motor driven. To get a good motor winch that will hold up would cost more. Look at the watercraft winches, most don't last but about 5 years, then something breaks. But if all is equal, need to run heavy electric back to the trailer or install another battery. My opinion only

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

here is my set up

IMG_20130506_121413_505_zps26b779ba.jpg

I've thought about adding some short ones on the farthest out to hit the highest part of the hull thinking that woud help center. Problem on the steep ramps is the front of the hull hits then as I crank/try to drive the rear won't hit centered. On the shallow inclines I have not problems.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

look past the crap in the pic and you might can get an idea of where the bunks sit.

IMG_20130518_132242_453_zps46b268e7.jpg

alldodge

Staff member

Looks to me like your rollers are to high. Your rollers should protect the keel from hitting the cross members when loading and unloading. You do have a steep rise hull and that can create issues, all mine have been lower sweep fast planning hulls. I'm thinking some centering boards closer to the bow up higher to keep it from wondering off. Once on the trailer they don't need to touch. Just a thought but I would have to play around with it a bit to find out what would work best.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

all but the front roller do not touch the keel when loaded.

alldodge

Staff member

all but the front roller do not touch the keel when loaded.

If you can check to see if they can be lowered without damage to the keel, or raise the bunks some more. You need the bunks to guide the boat on. With your high sweep hull the rollers are of no help, figure this is why you don't have much issue with shallower ramps.

bobdec

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I prefer mechanical, and a 2-speed for flexibility, they are more work at times but reliable, and less electronics to fail when needed. By the way I have a bunk only setup no rollers that requires floating boat on/off trailer and I use something like these (mine are 60 inches) " 48" Boat Guides - Tie Down Engineering 86105 - iboats " Since my stern is still floating after winching up the bow they hold the back end perfectly centered as I then slowly pull up the ramp. My guides are adjusted snug to the rub rails and the PVC outer covers rotate like a 'side roller' as the rub rail contacts them. They are however a bit noisy when running w/o the boat on trailer as the PCV rattles and bumps around.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

Interesting on those posts I've seen them never really thought of them as a functional item just an aiming target. Maybe mrs could start driving the boat on. Not that she can't now but shes not a 'wincher' and I have to crawl out over the bow which can be tricky (really tall).

Question on those - are they metal inside or just the PVC? Concerned about strength in a stiff crosswind.

If that would work then I can dunk more and only have a foot or two to pull; the winch might become a moot point.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

104_7383.jpg104_7384.jpg101_0006.jpg100_5942.jpg

I use an electric winch on this boat. It is a little lighter than yours but I would never go back to hand winching. Hand winching anything over a 17 footer is just passe' Why would anyone want to hand winch when God invented electricity and winches?

With your trailer, you need to back down the ramp so that the rear roller is just above the water. Then, as the boat comes up it will tend to stay centered. I know--If I back in too deep the boat will come on way off center, even with side guide rollers. I use a double line because the winch is not rated for the weight with a single line and it is only a couple of minutes to retrieve the boat.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I would RAISE the rollers to where they all maintain FIRM contact after the boat is loaded and change them out for self centering rollers.
As for the winch the length limit is actually layman's a weight limit.
A 2 speed manual will get the job done for ya

Side guide bunks are a great addition too.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

View attachment 222359View attachment 222360View attachment 222361View attachment 222362

I use an electric winch on this boat. It is a little lighter than yours but I would never go back to hand winching. Hand winching anything over a 17 footer is just passe' Why would anyone want to hand winch when God invented electricity and winches?

With your trailer, you need to back down the ramp so that the rear roller is just above the water. Then, as the boat comes up it will tend to stay centered. I know--If I back in too deep the boat will come on way off center, even with side guide rollers. I use a double line because the winch is not rated for the weight with a single line and it is only a couple of minutes to retrieve the boat.

:) God has invented some really cool stuff.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

I would RAISE the rollers to where they all maintain FIRM contact after the boat is loaded and change them out for self centering rollers.
As for the winch the length limit is actually layman's a weight limit.
A 2 speed manual will get the job done for ya

Side guide bunks are a great addition too.

I've thought of raising, but still have the issue of the stern floating off the back - the ramp is that steep but glides or side bunks seem like a viable option.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

If the stern is floating off the trailer you are in too deep

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

If i don't keep it floating to an extent, I cannot crank up anywhere close to easily - as I stated in the original post it was a crank and back down, crank and back down operation.

That was the point of starting this thread.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Yep that's why you need a better winch and that's why I would raise the rollers. Let them take the lions share of the weight until the last foot or so especially on the front half of the boat.

alldodge

Staff member

Fix it so you can drive it on

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

Fix it so you can drive it on

I'm thinking that the ramp angle and the hull style will prevent that. My last trailer (big) boat i had better luck and of course my little boats were no issue.

alldodge

Staff member

I'm thinking that the ramp angle and the hull style will prevent that. My last trailer (big) boat i had better luck and of course my little boats were no issue.

What ever you think, but you have no chance of driving it on with more rollers, and bunk slicks. Hopefully you can add enough rollers to allow little or no friction so about anything can winch it up. Then the only thing your going to need is a way to launch it safely, I would then suggest a pelican hook and a long rope tied off to the trailer.