Winch Cable or Strap?

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander
VENTURE 2" x 30ft Heavy-Duty Trailer Winch Strap w/Loop End #46521

Wanted recommendations.....have a 20ft cuddy on Shorlandr trailer w/ rollers... have cable on hand winch now,,noted it's likely original and has some freys (the kind that jab into your hand while loading :mad:), was thinking of replacing in spring.. the strap above seems to have more than enough working load capability (4,000 lb). What I've read from manufactorers is a 2/1 ratio... 2500 winch ok for a 5000 boat... my boat's under 3K... would'nt this 4000lb strap be fine? my hands would appreciate getting rid of cable and going with this...... thanks guys..

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Winch Cable or Strap?

2 to 1 in your case refers to a block or pulley at the hook end, mechanically increasing the advantage. You can move twice the weight but it takes twice as long (simplified explanation). You can do this with cable but not strap.

On my electric winch I do use a 2 to 1 and cable because I am using a smaller winch with a 21 foot cuddy. In my other boat trailers, I exclusively use straps because they are so much easier to wind onto the drum and as you have learned they don't stab your fingers.

The weight of the boat does relate in some way to the effort needed to winch it onto the trailer BUT you are not lifting a 3000 pound boat straight up so the pull is much less. a 4000 pound working load strap should be sufficient.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

I agree, strap is looking good, my fingers will thank me too

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

it's a ford v chevy choice

I have always used cables and never been stabbed; this is on hand winches and power winches. I have recently rigged one winch with a strap and it's fine--but it has to be a single pull hand winch. Cable seems to be easier to unwind and because it weighs less, easier to stretch out and lay on the trailer for hook-up.

If you are a trailer dunker (i'm not) with only a short pull it doesn't really matter.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I hate the straps on 3 of my trailers. I'm always pushing on the strap to keep it from folding over. I never have to touch the steel cable on the big trailer - it feeds on by itself. When I pull it out I always pull with the hook.

Just keep your hands off it and no more sore fingers.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

have 5 straps on 4 trailers (figure that one out) and would never go back to a cantankerous cable.

BTW It IS possible to use 2:1 with a strap, just need the right kind of pulley, BUT honestly if you are using 2:1 you'd be better off with a bigger winch...... Obviously with electric winches the cost goes way up when going bigger but hand winches can be had at pretty reasonable cost with capacities of 10k or more w 2 speed cranking

alldodge

Staff member

I like straps and one of these days I'll pick up a heaver one for the cruiser. Have a 10000 boat being held at the bow by a 1800 to 2000 capacity strap. It snapped one time just cinching it down. It was 25 feet long so I unrolled the whole thing, doubled it and wound it back up. Then slipped both layers through the hook eye and tied it off. Guess I'm looking a little under 4000 now.

Edit: might have been a bit more then 2000 pound strap originally, still snapped way to easy

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Hmmmm! does this thread have the makings of a "which oil is better" and "Ethanol in gasoline" debate? Stay tuned! LOL

Fleetwin

Lieutenant Junior Grade

STRAP!

In the olden days, all we had were cables and they would "PART" from time to time. One of those partings can kill you.

A strap> Good news. They have come a long way. They can-now-handle the loads and if they do break, they might slap you real hard but won't remove body parts.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... I'm Done with cable or Wire rope,....

My winches get straps on smaller boats, 'n good quality fabric Rope on the others,....

3/8" double braid can be bought with a 7,200lb. breakin' strength,...

phillyg

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've had both and much prefer a strap.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander

I use a rope, it works great:noidea: if I had to choose between a cable or strap, I would prefer a strap. yep def rather be hit with a strap :pop2:

BigDfromTN

Petty Officer 1st Class

+1 in the strap camp. And im a trailer dunker too.

Icicle

Cadet

I bought a strap and never looked back.....

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Strap for me too... I do know what you are talking about with cable frays all too much. ATV and car winches...

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner

Ayuh,.... I'm Done with cable or Wire rope,....

My winches get straps on smaller boats, 'n good quality fabric Rope on the others,....

3/8" double braid can be bought with a 7,200lb. breakin' strength,...

could you retry the link sir? Not working for me.