Touchstone brand trailer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

loose rivet

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Has anyone heard of the brand Touchstone Transportation Co. ?

I became the owner of one of these about a week ago by chance, its a 12" tire, 1200lb GVW or so tubular frame trailer that closely resembles a Load Rite Bandit, but on both sides there's a red silk screened logo bearing the above brand.
Its an older trailer, I'd guess it to be early to mid 90's or so. If it didn't say Touchstone on both sides and have the remains of a different style tongue label on it I'd have just assumed it to have been a Load Rite.

I came to own it by chance, a guy broke down with it out on the highway near here, he was from TN, and headed up here to pickup a boat when the axle separated from the springs. It appears that the U bolts just fell off or were removed.
Apparently he noticed the loose axle long before he ended up on the side of the road since the right spring/axle connection resembled a silver bee hive of duct tape and wire ties. The left side had nothing. He said one side came loose the day before and he had fixed it with what he had... duct tape.

The axle is fine, one tire is rubbed through and the one spring is missing the center bolt and all but the main leaf.
It has no lights, and no light wiring.
He saw a few boat trailers in my yard and came wondering over wanting to know if I had one for sale. In the end I sold one of my spare trailers and ended up with his old one for free.

A set of used springs, a light kit, a U bolt kit, and two new tires and it'll be a good trailer again. Best of all, there's no rust being it came from somewhere without saltwater.

Its a brand I've never run across, its built just like the much like my 2004 Load Rite Bandit under my 14' aluminum boat but with heavier cross members made from C channel vs. tubing. The outer frame rails look identical.
The TN paperwork calls it a Touchstone brand trailer on the TN registration. He had no title, he said he bought it with a boat he used to own but sold the boat, he was heading up this way to pickup a boat he bought online. He told me TN don't require trailer tags but he had one since he fished in KY and they kept pulling him over.
TN sounds like a pretty lenient state when it comes to trailers?

Anyone ever heard of the brand before?

screwloose

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Touchstone brand trailer?

I used to see tractor trailers with that name on them on the road, but I think it was most likely a freight company not a manufacturer.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

a quick google search yielded:

aluminum boat trailers
"I got a Touchstone Transportation - (Toms River) galvanized bunk trailer for my Montauk. Had keel rollers and an electric winch added. Buying from the manufacturer is cheaper.

Good, solid construction. Just make sure he puts on the keel rollers for you and have him double up on rollers on the two cross members in the rear."

Touchstone Transport Engineering
Rt. 37 East, Box 1116
Toms River, NJ,08753
732‑270‑1919

Name: Touchstone Transport Engineering

Address:
3121 Rt. 37 E.
Toms River NJ
US

Phone:
732-270-6655

slowleak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That address is a residential neighborhood, someone's house. I live about an hour from that area and never heard of the brand before.

Robincamp

Recruit
Hi,

I'm sure this thread is long dead but it brought back memories. Touchstone is a boat trailer business that was located on Rt 37 in Toms River - It was housed in the space now occupied by Toms River Marine & Motorsports. The owner was a guy named Vince - his last name escapes me. I worked there one summer long ago in college doing some filing. He had some personal troubles, if I remember right, and the business closed in the 90's.

Status
Not open for further replies.