Should I be concerned about my trailer tongue and should I replace it?

hotrod53

Chief Petty Officer
When I restored my boat and trailer 3 years ago, this will be season 4, I noticed that the tongue had some decent rust where the tongue was bolted to the piece that the winch mounts on. The trailer hadn't moved in 13 years and water/snow had gotten on there and caused rust. I sanded it, painted it, reassembled it, then sealed it with caulking so water couldn't get in there any longer. Obviously if I submerged the tongue it could, but rain and snow will run off.

My trailer is an older Tee Nee, I'm not sure they are even still in business. Some time back I saw my exact boat for sale with a big gouge in the side, the owner's trailer tongue had broken off, which had gotten me thinking. My neighbor who used to own the boat and retired from American Bridge company said that he wouldn't be concerned, that the tubing had plenty of strength left. The top and bottom of the tube had no rust, just the sides.

On another tongue issue, I replaced the tongue coupler with a new bolt-on unit 3 years ago, I was unable to get the exact coupler that came off of it. The side bolt holes lined up perfectly, but the coupler unit was 1/4" deeper then the original. You can actually slide a 1/4" plate on the top of the tongue tube, under the new coupler. I have a plate cut that I planned to weld under the coupler, then remount it. I've towed the trailer as-is, without adding the plate for 3 seasons. I think my only real worry is that the bolt holes begin to elongate since the coupler is suspended up 1/4" and not resting on the top of the tongue tube. Anny comments on that?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Should I be concerned about my trailer tongue and should I replace it?

without SEEING the tongue nobody could possibly tell you if it needs replaced... just slide your plate in, drill hole(s) and bolt it up... no need to weld it

as for whether the holes will elongate... you've been towing it for 3 years..... did they?

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner
Re: Should I be concerned about my trailer tongue and should I replace it?

Photo's are worth a thousand words.