what is the best type of bunk carpet attachment

limitout

Banned
this question is for a boat trailer with strictly salt water use so what is the best and most cost effective type of fastener for the bunk carpet that will hold up to salt water?

in the past I have been using galvanized roofing nails and after only 2 years they look very rusty but they last about 5 years before the heads rust off which is about the time the carpet needs replacing anyways.

I was thinking its time I tried something different like using stainless steel staples for fastening the carpet but I was confused to see that they have the regular 508SS1 staples for about $15 but it says "not for marine use" and something else called monel stainless steel staples 508M1 for around $35 that says its "for marine use" yet both are identicle in size and thickness so I figured it must be a different grade of ss or something but how different can they be as far as not rusting out since they are both stainless steel?

so the question I have is do I really need the monel staples at triple the cost (do I have to get these so they last 5 years) or will the regular stainless staples be able to last 5 years which is about as long as I expect the bunk carpet will.

I am looking for a fastener that only needs to last around 5 years, so does anyone out there know if the regular ss staples will do that or do I need to go with the monel staples?

im hoping someone out there has used the regular ss staples for salt water and can say how they hold up and how long they lasted.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: what is the best type of bunk carpet attachment

Sounds like galvanized roofing is/was your best bet. Staples of any type don't have the holding power, in my experience. I use the roofing nails.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I use stainless staples and I use an air stapler to install them so you can do a ton of them. Have never had one pull out or rust. 100 times easier than roofing nails.

By the way Monel is not stainless steel. Not even sure I can get Monel for my gun.

I need to double check what gauge my gun shoots. Either 18 or 22 gauge.

This is similar to my stapler:
http://www.mscdirect.com/product/01..._sJXegN7a0_PLA__15557577904_c_S&026=-99&025=c

Last edited:

limitout

Banned

I use stainless staples and I use an air stapler to install them so you can do a ton of them. Have never had one pull out or rust. 100 times easier than roofing nails.

By the way Monel is not stainless steel. Not even sure I can get Monel for my gun.

I need to double check what gauge my gun shoots. Either 18 or 22 gauge.

This is similar to my stapler:
Power Staplers | MSCDirect.com

thanks, i'll give the regular stainless staples a try and see how they hold up over time

what is a monel ???? the guys at the store kept telling me its stainless steel but the box only says "Monel staples are rust-resistant. For use in outdoor locations and high-humidity conditions." but then that same can be said of the stainless steel ones.

the gun I have is this: Arrow Fastener Staple and Nail Gun-5700 at The Home Depot
it works great so far and never gave me any trouble driving staples all the way in except with plywood sometimes

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

My staples are 3/8" crown 22 gauge by 1/2' deep. My air stapler will also shoot 5/8" deep. I use it for upholstery as well.

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant

I used Monel applied with a Home Depot purchased Arrow electric staple gun. No issues with holding power and no rust even though exposed to salt water. Works better for me than swinging a hammer :)

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

Monel is the best. The Navy shipyard uses monel bolts and nuts. Very expensive.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

this question is for a boat trailer with strictly salt water use so what is the best and most cost effective type of fastener for the bunk carpet that will hold up to salt water?

Contact cement will outlast any staple.