Grease from back hubs?

alldodge

Staff member
Re: Grease from back hubs?

Haven't seen them before but would be similar to EZ lube axle. Instead of having the hole bored through the spindle and coming out at the rear bearing. Should work and a lot easier then replacing an axle

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

I've got EZ Lube w/ zerks.. the principle of pushing grease from back to front and out pushes old grease out first.. prior to zerks, packing bearings by hand, or using bearing buddies (which I beleive can be overfilled, as the tiny pilot hole in those that's suppose to releave pressure is about a pin hole in size,,rear seals can be blown out if overfilled) I have had zero problems this past summer with zerks on the Tie Down Axle I have....every few dunks, I'd push some fresh grease in, ooozes out the front, swipe, pop cover on and your good... I think you would be happy with those..

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Has anyone ever heard or is using these hubs? It appears that the Zerk is in the back of the hub and it is designed to push the old grease out of the front. Any thoughts? There is a video on the link showing how it works.

Ultra-Tow Ultra Pack Trailer Hub — 6 on 5 1/2in. 2750 lb. Capacity | Hubs| Northern Tool + Equipment

The nice thing about the rear zerk is you can add an EZ-Lube type system to your existing axle. The ones with the zerk on the end of the spindle are not retrofit, whereas the one you linked is an upgrade for any axle.

tpenfield

Staff member

Has anyone ever heard or is using these hubs? It appears that the Zerk is in the back of the hub and it is designed to push the old grease out of the front. Any thoughts? There is a video on the link showing how it works.

Ultra-Tow Ultra Pack Trailer Hub — 6 on 5 1/2in. 2750 lb. Capacity | Hubs| Northern Tool + Equipment

Yea, I had something like those on the trailer for my 24 footer. I'd pump the grease in the zerk, and the old grease would flow out the sides of the pressure cap. The rubber cover looked exactly the same as pictured . . .

Since I only trailered about 200 miles per year(begining and ending of the season) , I only greased them annually. They were fine . . .

robert graham

Admiral

Haven't seen them before but would be similar to EZ lube axle. Instead of having the hole bored through the spindle and coming out at the rear bearing. Should work and a lot easier then replacing an axle

My second on this...I have the EZ lubes on my trailer and they work great!....no problems at all in 14 years!

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I would think it is a very good way to retro fit standard axles to a easy lube system.

limitout

Banned

yes, they work great and I have even made my own.

its easy if you pay attention to finding the gap between the rear seal ring and the bearing race and carefully measure, drill, and tap for a grease zerk.

no need to be concerned about wheel balance issues as there is not enough force at the hub for the grease zerk to affect the balance of the hub, just be sure you watch for clearance so it doesn't hit anything. I found the 45* zerks are much better for getting the grease gun on and off without needing to crawl under the trailer to do it.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Similar idea, but different design on the SURE_Lube hub.

Zerk is on the end of the spindle, grease travels thru the spindle to the rear bearing, then pushes old grease thru the front bearing and out the front.

00 sure.jpg