Two towing pro's can't figure out trailer ball problem

bouncer56

Cadet
Here is the problem... We have just acquired a 1988 Bomber bass boat sittiing on a Fiberking classic trailer. The front of the trailer has a fixed hitch on the front of the trailer. It can not be taken off and switched. It came from Fiberking this way.

We were using a 1 7/8 ball which is the smallest we know of for this trailer hitch. When lowering the boat down onto the ball it will not lower unless you back off the nut underneath the hitch assembly to where there is only two threads holding the hitch assembly on. This of course is totally unsafe.

The boat hitch itself seems that it is to shallow to house a regular 1 7/8 ball. We tried a couple different ones we had and even bought a few different ones to see if it would work. The ball is going up into the hitch as far as it can go but when trying to push the lever down to lock it in, it will start to go down maybe a 1/2 inch and then as the fork underneath seats up against the underside of the ball it will not let it go any further. It's not even close to getting that handle pushed down to lock in.

It seems we would need a special ball that is smaller in size as per the length of it. If the ball was measuring from the top to where it starts tapering in were say 2 inches, we need one at an inch or inch and a half so it would go up inside the shallow housing of the boat trailer female part which would allow the fork underneath the hitch grab the under side of the ball and let the hitch lever push down to lock.

There is our problem that we worked on for two hours in the rain trying to get this boat back to the house. I would really appreciate any help if possible. Thanks in advance.

orbanp

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Two towing pro's can't figure out trailer ball problem

Here is the problem... We have just acquired a 1988 Bomber bass boat sittiing on a Fiberking classic trailer. The front of the trailer has a fixed hitch on the front of the trailer. It can not be taken off and switched. It came from Fiberking this way.
Welcome to iboats!

I would just cut off the old one and install a new coupler.

Peter

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Cut off the coupler and replace with a new one. I have replaced many of mine to 2" so most of my trailers are the same.

Welcome aboard.

From your description it sounds similar to a problem I had (on a Bomber boat too, but that came with a Tennessee trailer). It's kinda' hard to explain, but somehow the piece that grabs the ball had gotten wedged into it's slot funny. I don't know if it's even possible that this could be your problem, just thought I'd throw it out there.

As far as your steering problem (you might want to start a new thread in the general boating section with just the steering issue, the thread police here are kinda' picky like that :) ), disconnect the steering cable end back at the engine and see if the engine will turn freely by hand now. Also see if the steering wheel is still stiff or if it turns freely. This should tell you where the problem is. Assuming the problem is in the steering system you MIGHT get lucky and find a new cable, but chances are you'll be replacing the helm as well just because older cables are very hard to find.

Maclin

Admiral

Triple check the orientation of the fork. Maybe someone was adjusting the nut and the fork fell off and they put the fork in upside down or otherwise not with correct orientation.

limitout

Banned

I have seen the catch replaced with the wrong (generic) one that has caused loose or too tight coupling issues so maybe the guy replaced the catch with the wrong one and the coupler just needs to be swapped for the correct one.

I agree with everyone else, cut off the old coupler and put on a new one. I hate when companies weld couplers on because its a PITA when you need to replace it.

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

Had an old school trailer at one time, ball would not fit at all. Found out from the po,it took a 1-1/2" ball? Weird,needless to say,it got a new coupler.
Grub

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Over the years I have bought several old trailers. (An '88 is certainly "old") Since I was never confident in the safety of them, replacing bearings, tires, etc. was the first priority. If it were mine, I would cut off the coupler and drill and bolt on a new one. That's also a good time to upgrade to a 2" ball, which is more universal.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

how bout posting some pics of the coupler including the inside of it.... Generally this is caused by pieces not being in the correct orientation

UncleWillie

Captain

how bout posting some pics of the coupler including the inside of it.... Generally this is caused by pieces not being in the correct orientation

+1
It is highly unlikely that a coupler was produced that intentionally needed to be two threads short of falling off.
Something is assembled wrong and the problem is most likely very simple.

Before you do the "Just Cut it OFF and buy a new one" thing, be sure you know what the real problem is.

I have never heard of a 1.5 inch ball ever being produced.
You can find 1.25" drawbars with 1-7/8" Balls.
A 2" ball will sometimes fit poorly into a loose 1-7/8"coupler.
Be sure your ball is the size you think it is.
The proper size ball will be stamped into the couplers housing. Look closely.

Pictures will help greatly!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral

I have never heard of a 1.5 inch ball ever being produced.

Me neither,he actually brought me the ball. It was stamped 1-1/2 inch. He did not rember what it came from either.

T_Herrod

Petty Officer 1st Class

Replace the coupler.

bouncer56

Cadet

Welcome to iboats!

I would just cut off the old one and install a new coupler.

Peter

Thanks for the info. It looks like I am cutting off the old one..

bouncer56

Cadet

Thank you all for the info. I have checked into replacing the coupler from etrailer.

I think it is a 1970 trailer. The boat was a 1988.. The 1 7/8 is definitely to big so maybe back then there was a smaller ball and when he traded the truck, he let the hitch go thinking, OH, I have more at the house not knowing that, that ball was the only one left on planet earth that fit that boat trailer.

I think a hack saw and a drill will be with me on the next trip to get it.

Thanks again to everyone for all the great responses.

Have a Merry Christmas and safe New Year.

limitout

Banned

Thank you all for the info. I have checked into replacing the coupler from etrailer.

I think it is a 1970 trailer. The boat was a 1988.. The 1 7/8 is definitely to big so maybe back then there was a smaller ball and when he traded the truck, he let the hitch go thinking, OH, I have more at the house not knowing that, that ball was the only one left on planet earth that fit that boat trailer.

I think a hack saw and a drill will be with me on the next trip to get it.

Thanks again to everyone for all the great responses.

Have a Merry Christmas and safe New Year.

I strongly advise forgetting the hacksaw idea, bring one for sure but borrow or buy a reciprocating saw and borrow or buy a 4" side grinder to do this job.

it will make it a 2 hour job instead of a 5 or 6 hour job fighting with it.

just to get home why don't you get something like this: Curt Sway Control Bar Hitch Trailer Mounted Receiver Chrome Ball 1 25" | eBay

if it fits it would be a more affordable alternative to using this: Curt 45551 Black 1 25" Euro Ball Mount Three Quarter inch Rise camper Trailer RV | eBay

if you can get it home, you can take your time and do a nice clean job of removing and replacing the receiver at the comfort of home.

near as I can tell the 1 1/4" balls are used for lawn tractors and yard equiptment trailers and RV's and such as well as on European trailers

Last edited:

UncleWillie

Captain

...just to get home why don't you get something like this: Curt Sway Control Bar Hitch Trailer Mounted Receiver Chrome Ball 1 25" | eBay ... near as I can tell the 1 1/4" balls are used for lawn tractors and yard equipment trailers and RVs and such as well as on European trailers

That Ball is intended to be used to attach the Anti-Sway Bar commonly used with a Weight distributing hitch.

Finding a Ball Mount/DrawBar with a 5/8" hole is going to be an issue.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

if you need to "just get it home" hire a rollback truck to move it.... personally I STRONGLY believe that if I were there I could fix the hitch in under a minute for you... I think there is a fair chance that if you show us the pictures we've asked for we can tell you how to fix it yourself.... of course if you really want to cut it off and put a new one on that's ok too

limitout

Banned
Last edited: