Weld-on folding trailer hitch

Lake Lizzard

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anyone have any good options for a weld-on folding trailer hitch? My trailer tubing is 3"x4".

I would also be interested in getting just hinge pin and round pipe sleeves so that I would weld up my own (which would be my preference). I'm just not sure where to find these supplies, which is why I may have to go with a complete unit weld-on model.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Weld-on folding trailer hitch

If you can't figure out where to get the raw materials I suspect that you MAY not have enough fabrication experience to build your own hinged tongue.... All you would need for the hinge is a piece of heavy wall tubing and some hitch pins that match it's i.d. along with some heavier 3x4 and some plate to build the body

Please don't be offended but it just struck me like a chef saying "I'd cook a great meal if I knew where to buy food"

I may well have got you wrong and if you ARE up to the task tho any welding shop or steel supply house can fix you up.

Personally I do quite a bit of fabrication but IMHO a weld on or bolt on kit is probably the better way to go and they aren't very expensive.

shag766

Cadet

If you can't figure out where to get the raw materials I suspect that you MAY not have enough fabrication experience to build your own hinged tongue.... All you would need for the hinge is a piece of heavy wall tubing and some hitch pins that match it's i.d. along with some heavier 3x4 and some plate to build the body

Please don't be offended but it just struck me like a chef saying "I'd cook a great meal if I knew where to buy food"

I may well have got you wrong and if you ARE up to the task tho any welding shop or steel supply house can fix you up.

Personally I do quite a bit of fabrication but IMHO a weld on or bolt on kit is probably the better way to go and they aren't very expensive.

i caught that to. any scrap yard will have the metal needed. i am guessing if there was an accident from it letting go and it looked like the welds were bubble gum looking the insurance might have something to say also.

Lake Lizzard

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

The area I have to work with on my trailer is tight at the hinge point. This is why I really should just fabricate it up myself. It's because of the safety concerns I was asking about sleeves and pins specifically for the task. I do know where to get steel in my area, but my time is worth a lot to me rather than do a bunch of running around - that's why I love the internet.

I did weld a folding hitch on my last boat trailer, but this was 10 years ago. No problems whatsoever. It's not rocket science. I own a MIG, TIG, and plasma cutter - an know how to use them very well. My welding skills are up to the task. Smokeonthewater - the chef analogy was dumb...but I know you meant well. I do thank you for following up with a folding hitch option.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

dumb? wow u sure know how to hurt a guy lol..

Now we have more to go on as you were more specific and your question makes more sense.
Personally of the folding hitches I've been up close to, I've never seen any with any pivot parts that looked specialized... IIRC just tubing pins bolts....

How about posting a few pics of the trailer you're working with... maybe we can come up with some recipes er uh ideas for ya.

shag766

Cadet

looking at the 2 ads above i would, myself, lean towards the weld on type. if done proper that would leave the pivot bolt and pin as the only 2 critical points. the bolt on type leave more room for error.
-.02 cents

suneshop

Seaman

How do you deal with the solid hydraulic surge break line inside tongue?

shag766

Cadet

what are you trying to do with it?

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member

How about a simpler (edit: maybe easier) way, cut the tongue off where you need it to be. Get a piece of square tubing which slides into each end. Weld one end to the tongue and leave the other end about 12 inch or less depending one weight of trailer. Drill a hole through both pieces and make it like a trailer hitch receiver.

Last edited: