How to support the front of my boat

jacobcraft7

Seaman Apprentice
IMG_0099.jpg
I don't know how to support the boat so I just have it sitting on the winch. Any help is appreciated. These are the possible supports I have
IMG_0100.jpg

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: How to support the front of my boat

On my duckboat,I took the bowstop,that would normally go on the v of a v-hull,cut it off,turned it a quarter turn,and welded it back on so it stops at the upper lip of the boat. Works well. You need a taller winchpost to do that though.

jacobcraft7

Seaman Apprentice

Added a roller and some flat bar to support it photo-6.JPG

limitout

Banned

Added a roller and some flat bar to support it View attachment 218275

no that's all wrong and you will punch a hole through your bow when hitting bumps on the road. you also never want to weld directly to the frame tongue because (other then weakening it and causing it to rust) you need to be able to adjust it.

the winch is on the wrong side but as long as the strap isn't rubbing it wont hurt anything.

with all that going on its best if you buy a proper bracket for it like this: H.D. Trailer Winch/Bow Roller Mount #43679 the winch bolts onto this bracket and not on the brackets you have now and everything will line up correctly because the bow eye needs to be under the bow roller and not above it, that way it cant lift up and bounce on the trailer when you hit bumps.

or if you don't want to buy or make the bracket I linked to above then you can get or make something like this option: Galvanized Bow Stop Brackets (1-pair) #86106

Last edited:

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Bolt a support piece in place.

jacobcraft7

Seaman Apprentice

If the boat bouncing will be problem can't I just strap the front down

limitout

Banned

If the boat bouncing will be problem can't I just strap the front down

yes that will help but you can only limit the amount of bouncing that way.

its more then just about the bow bouncing, it also helps keep the boat from coming off the trailer in an accident and hurting someone. its called a bow stop for a reason and that is to stop the bow from being able to move past it once it is in position. if you are going to leave it set up the way it is then you have to create something to solidly hold the bow in place and not allow it to move forward in case of a traffic accident. maybe some flat bar on the sides of the winch bracket and put a flat 2x4 on the end to stop the boat.

also you should put a safety chain on the winch post just in case your strap ever breaks

don't get me wrong, its a light weight boat so I doubt you will ever have trouble with it but at the very very least you should put a chain or safety straps from the transom rear handles to the trailer frame so it cant come through your back window in case of an accident.

Last edited:

jacobcraft7

Seaman Apprentice

I always strap the handles down to the trailer in the back. Always. But you really think I NEED to buy that bracket? Cause if it's necessary I will. I want it to be safe and effective

jacobcraft7

Seaman Apprentice

If I put the winch on the other side I will have to cut and readjust the frame cus it would push my boat past the end of the trailer.

limitout

Banned

I always strap the handles down to the trailer in the back. Always. But you really think I NEED to buy that bracket? Cause if it's necessary I will. I want it to be safe and effective

I think you NEED to have the bow stop positioned so the bow eye is winched firmly against it and it cant move upward or forward.

you have a choice of the two brackets I linked to, the large bracket means you will need to readjust things but it lines everything up for you. the other one where you have a two piece brackets is the simplest way and can be made to work the way you have it set up now, all it does is reposition the bow stop to where the bow eye is and maybe you slide the boat back a couple inches.

if I were you I would get these: Galvanized Bow Stop Brackets (1-pair) #86106
and bolt them with it angled upward to get it high enough then you are good to go.

if you look at the pictures in the link it wouldn't be hard to make your own brackets for it if you or a friend of yours has the skill

you could even cut your home made bow stop roller loose from the brace welded to the tongue (cut it off flush from the tongue) and then bend it upwards so its high enough to fit up in front of the bow eye then bend the brace down to bolt or weld the support brace to the post this time when you are done.

I just don't know your skill level or your access to scrap metal and welding

Last edited:

jacobcraft7

Seaman Apprentice

I think you NEED to have the bow stop positioned so the bow eye is winched firmly against it and it cant move upward or forward.

I'm sure I sound unintelligent but what goes between those brackets. You might have already told me my mind is so confused

jacobcraft7

Seaman Apprentice

And I work at a metal fabrication shop so I can get angle iron all I want and flat bar

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

boys, this is a john boat... all you need is a piece of 2x4 wrapped in carpet and fab up a bracket to mount it.... The 2x4 should be crosswise above the winch and far enough back to keep the bow eye from reaching the winch

limitout

Banned

I'm sure I sound unintelligent but what goes between those brackets. You might have already told me my mind is so confused

you put the bow stop roller there. they have different shapes and styles and come in 3" and 4" sizes depending on how wide your bow post is, in most cases that's 3"

see here: Bow Stop Roller | eBay

you can even make one using some creativity by looking at some of the styles they have. you don't really need much cushion with your flatboat so a little carpet on a block of wood would work but the main thing is having something to stop the boat and hold it in place

Last edited: