Synthetic grease vs. regular grease

acdc96

Chief Petty Officer
I recently repacked the bearings in one of my hubs. I borrowed my buddy's grease gun (the big one not the little 3oz ones I have). The bearings where clean, shiny, & not grease at all in it. I packed the bearings and noticed the grease lacked a shine and was very dull looking. I knew it was fresh grease cause my buddy put it in while I got it. So i put the hub on the spindle and put the bearing buddy on. I filled the bearing buddy slightly then drove around the block then refilled it. I went to replace the cartridge and realized it was synthetic wheel bearing grease.

I want to know if I should put regular grease in it and clean out all the synthetic grease or keep it?

I have the hubs marked so I know which was the synthetic one so I don't mix up the grease.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Synthetic grease vs. regular grease

I recently repacked the bearings in one of my hubs. I borrowed my buddy's grease gun (the big one not the little 3oz ones I have). The bearings where clean, shiny, & not grease at all in it. I packed the bearings and noticed the grease lacked a shine and was very dull looking. I knew it was fresh grease cause my buddy put it in while I got it. So i put the hub on the spindle and put the bearing buddy on. I filled the bearing buddy slightly then drove around the block then refilled it. I went to replace the cartridge and realized it was synthetic wheel bearing grease.

I want to know if I should put regular grease in it and clean out all the synthetic grease or keep it?

I have the hubs marked so I know which was the synthetic one so I don't mix up the grease.

Ayuh,.... It Shouldn't matter, 1 bit,...

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Figure out what kind of grease it was, synthetic is only the base stock that was used and doesn't affect compatibility. The rest of the grease is what determines that.

Long story short, unless your buddy got a deal on some really strange industrial grease, odds are its a lithium complex based formula, and what you put in previously was either aluminum complex (marine) or lithium complex.

Articles_200902_grease-compatibility-chart.gif

(C= Compatible, I=Incompatible, B=borderline)

Last edited:

plztellme

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I use marine grease for my brgs.

ricohman

Lieutenant Commander

Marine grease, regular grease. It all works. Any type of failure won't be due to poor grease or mixing grease. It will be due to lack of maintenance.