Bow safety chain or strap?

superbenk

Commander
Just bought a 2008 Four Winns H200 with the factory trailer. The manual show it with a ratcheting safety strap instead of a chain & that's what it currently has. I'm wondering if I should change this to a chain instead? Seems like a chain would be stronger & easier to hook up as well, but it won't cinch tight like the ratchet strap.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Bow safety chain or strap?

Ayuh,... Either is acceptable,'n the strap is probably Better,...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

If a catastrophy occurs, the loose chain will catch the boat in mid air as it flies toward your car. No problem - issue solved.

If you use a tight strap, chain w/turnbuckle, etc. the boat will stay firmly in place. Problem solved as well.

After having such a catastrophy (rear ended by a drunk while standing still) I speak with some authority.....LOL

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class

Chains, straps, cables, they all will do the job if set up correctly.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I recommend against a tight chain/turnbuckle rig b/c it puts all the bounce on the bow eye's fragile mounting in the hull. Better to have a slack chain. A little play in the system is better. Just have the chain tight enough that it won't bounce loose, and while I suggest having slack, the less the better so you won't have to face a big jolt if there is a failure of the winch strap/cable.

A new strap is as good as a chain. An old one isn't. Won't know if it's too old until it's too late; so go for chain. Ayuh.

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I use both when I hit the road and it's extra piece of mind that the boat won't move since I too have a little distance of boat movement before the chain would grab.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

the term is peace of mind... an extra piece of mind is only good if your name is Hannibal LOL

as for the original question... they serve different purposes... a strap secures the boat to the trailer such that it can't move... a chain with a turnbuckle or other binder does the same thing... a "safety" chain is a last ditch divice designed to retain the boat if other straps and etc are either not in place or fail

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Keep in mind what happens if the boat builds momentum and THEN whatever method of holding comes tight... It will rip the mount point out of the fiberglass. Much better to have something that is slightly weaker (and with some give) but holding constantly than something that is loose and will rip out of the fiberglass when needed.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

I'm with the "chain" gang. Straps can snap by just cruzing down the road when it's been weakened by the elements over time. Chain, not so much. As stated, leave a little slack.

ssobol

Chief Petty Officer

I'm with the "chain" gang. Straps can snap by just cruzing down the road when it's been weakened by the elements over time. Chain, not so much. As stated, leave a little slack.

I have both. A sturdy chain to catch the boat if the winch strap breaks and a strap to the trailer frame to keep the bouncing of the bow to a minimum.

The first boat I had did not have a secondary chain (trailer did not come with one). After owning the brand new boat and trailer for about 4 months, the winch strap broke while I was going about 55. The boat was totaled.

The strap broke clean where it was stitched to hold the hook. The ins. co. agreed with me that the strap was defective.

limitout

Banned

I have both. A sturdy chain to catch the boat if the winch strap breaks and a strap to the trailer frame to keep the bouncing of the bow to a minimum.

the bouncing comes from improperly having the boat set up with the bow eye above and not under the winch post bow stop, if set properly the eye will be held tight under the bow stop so it locks the boat in place and eliminates the boats ability to rise up and bounce when you hit bumps.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I have something similar. Not going anywhere

needle-felting-projects-1.jpg

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

...The strap broke clean where it was stitched to hold the hook. The ins. co. agreed with me that the strap was defective....

that's scary but a good lesson for all of us. We are all victims of that cheap stuff we get from overseas and can't avoid it even when we pay extra for quality. All up and down the vessel and tow rig there are strong parts held by weak ones--and the weak ones are the ones that matter most.

limitout

Banned

that's scary but a good lesson for all of us. We are all victims of that cheap stuff we get from overseas and can't avoid it even when we pay extra for quality. All up and down the vessel and tow rig there are strong parts held by weak ones--and the weak ones are the ones that matter most.

that's why when I get a new trailer I throw the strap in the garbage and replace it with a steel cable or if its a small lightweight boat i may use a good 1/2" nylon rope. I don't trust stitched connections and I always use winches rated for twice the load I have in case I ever need to get a flooded boat out

Last edited:

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I prefer cable over straps, maybe just from habit. But I have had cables fail, usually at the first foot that is exposed to the elements. That is why I always tie my bow line to the winch stand while pulling up, unless I have a helper, and I make him hold the line until the safety chain is hooked.

I was recently pulling up a 21' on a roller trailer on a steep ramp and I had a feeling about the cable*, so I not only tied it off, but kept tightening the bow line as it came up. Sure enough it popped when I was almost up; boat rolled back only a foot. A guy stranding nearby thought I was a genious.

*which came with the new to me used boat and was on the list to be replaced.

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I believe in over kill. Two ratchet transom straps, one ratchet strap from bow eye forward to the trailer, one ratchet strap from bow eye aft to the trailer and a safety chain. The two straps keep the boat from moving in either direction, under normal conditions, but do have a little bit of strech / spring to them, softening the jars and shocks a bit. Chain incase everything goes south.