Hub caps for Gator or Tee Nee trailer

Davied

Cadet
I have heard these are the same size. Maybe some other brands as well. But I would love to find the baby moon style hub caps for my Gator trailer. Anyone know who may sell or have them?

matt167

Captain
Re: Hub caps for Gator or Tee Nee trailer

Gator and Tee Nee did use the same wheels, which are Crosley wheels.. If you have the Orig wheels, than you can find baby moon's to fit Crosleys and they will work, but the original moon covers were stamped either Gator or Tee Nee.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

13" auto baby moons will fit an 8" TeeNee or Gator wheel.

Davied

Cadet

I do have some Gator hubcaps, but the replating from 3 different plate shops were near $100 a piece. The original wheels are on the trailer and they are the 4.8x12 size. There is a place in Indiana that says to have Crosley parts, but I don't know. The times I have called there a woman answers the phone and tells me her husband will call back, but he never has. Can you find baby moons for a Crosley? Where?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Yes, those will work. Thanks!

Maybe work, but at $60 apiece I'd sooner spend the $100 for replating and have originals.

A quick ebay check showed auto baby moons for between $5 and $20.

Davied

Cadet

I agree, they are not cheap enough over the cost of plating. I have been looking and looking for the hub caps in the size that I need, in that much lower price range. It appears as if none exist, so it will probably be the replating of the originals. When you can get a pair of hubcaps for $30 that is one thing, but a pair for $120, is another thing. Thanks

tanuki

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree, they are not cheap enough over the cost of plating. I have been looking and looking for the hub caps in the size that I need, in that much lower price range. It appears as if none exist, so it will probably be the replating of the originals. When you can get a pair of hubcaps for $30 that is one thing, but a pair for $120, is another thing. Thanks

The moons at the site are Stainless Steel....just sayin'

Davied

Cadet

Your right,they do look likke the originals, but they won't fit the original wheels that use clips to hold the hubcap on. They use bumps that are in the wheel to hold them on. The stainless would be great. But for the money, I can have the originals rechromed and they have the Gator embossing on them. The $5 ones I would buy immediately, if I didn't have original wheels that have clips to secure the hubcaps.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I had an old Gator that had no hubcaps, and used the "bumps" not clips. I had an old car that had chrome reverse wheels and I put a set of baby moons. I sold the car and kept the moons. The moons fit the trailer and I had them on until I sold the boat. The moons went with the deal. The other 2 moons from the car I gave to a friend and he put them on his TeeNee. That's all I know.....LOL.

I'm into classics myself. I would never put an aftermarket part on my baby. I did it once and lost so many points I didn't even place. Since then I have a 1st place trophy for every Antique/Classic Boatshow I have entered.

Go for the rechrome!