Backing up trailer tips

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer
I just bought a F250 pick up truck to pull the boat next year. I used to use a trailblazer to launch and retrieve my boat. I'm pretty good at getting the boat in the water with the boat on the trailer. When I retrieve the boat without the boat on the trailer its pretty tough because I cant see the trailer when I back up. Any tips for backing up the trailer without seeing it?

lrak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Backing up trailer tips

Either get a smaller tow vehicle or put those pvc pipe trailer guides on the back of the trailer so you know where it is...

KD4UPL

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Drop the tailgate for sure.
When I have my camper on my dually I can't see around it to the trailer even with the mirrors. I just make sure I can't see it either side and I know I'm backing straight. If I can look in one mirror or the other and I DO see the trailer I know it's too far to that side and I correct accordingly.

Pony

Rear Admiral

20130806_133041.jpgIMG950318.jpgIMG950319.jpg

Pretty slick way of adding a could of guides to the trailer that store right in the back of my truck. There are simply a pair of fiberglass rods with a female pipe thread on one side. I drilled through the mounting bracket and fender and attached a piece of pipe thread which is held on the a back nut and a couple of washers.....this leaves about a 1/4" or less showing. When we go to retrieve the boat it takes about 30 seconds to thread the rods on.

I don't like the PVC ones, and the galvanized pipe guides I had on another trailer failed multiple times due to the weakness of the metal where we cut the threads in. Plus the trailer already has sided guides, they just aren't very easy to see.

I mainly use these to see the trailer better as I back down the ramp, and to give myself a clear "goal post" to drive through as they are certainly not strong enough to center the boat in any way.

Found the flags laying around the garage :)

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

I sometimes tow with a tonneau on my pickup, and it makes backing the empty trailer much harder. I bought a set of the tennis balls on telescoping rods with magnetic bases. They sell them as guides to help you line up your hitch and the trailer tongue, but they also work great for backing the trailer. Extend them all the way and attach them to the trailer fenders or the trailer frame. Way cheaper than permanent guides.

Without a tonneau, dropping the tailgate does the trick. Just don't cut any sharp turns.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Get a set of these and just put them on your fenders:
Magnetic Trailer Alignment Kit

image_23234.jpg

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

Bingo Bruce! Exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks guys

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

those MAY work well for ya but understand that they may need to be removed before you load the boat depending on the width of the boat and trailer....

the one I linked up above stays on the trailer and serves double function of giving you a target to load the boat..... you just run over it with the boat to fold it down

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gikuudapwv4

Last edited:

limitout

Banned

if you want simple and cheap just go buy a 10ft length of 1/2" pvc pipe at the hardware store (costs about $3) and a couple of clamps and clamp it on or under the back frame so it sticks out on both sides. nothing sticks up to break or get in the way of anything.

now with the boat hooked on the truck and the trailer straight sit in your truck and look out both mirrors and have a friend mark where your vision stops on each side. then trim the pipe leaving about and extra 2 or 3 inches sticking out.

now you just watch your mirrors and you always know if your straight. this also avoids dropping the tail gate which "could" hit the winch post on some boats depending on your setup.

getting ad-on extended mirrors are another option so you can still see your fenders

jackd1023

Petty Officer 1st Class

View attachment 215106View attachment 215107View attachment 215108

Pretty slick way of adding a could of guides to the trailer that store right in the back of my truck. There are simply a pair of fiberglass rods with a female pipe thread on one side. I drilled through the mounting bracket and fender and attached a piece of pipe thread which is held on the a back nut and a couple of washers.....this leaves about a 1/4" or less showing. When we go to retrieve the boat it takes about 30 seconds to thread the rods on.

I don't like the PVC ones, and the galvanized pipe guides I had on another trailer failed multiple times due to the weakness of the metal where we cut the threads in. Plus the trailer already has sided guides, they just aren't very easy to see.

I mainly use these to see the trailer better as I back down the ramp, and to give myself a clear "goal post" to drive through as they are certainly not strong enough to center the boat in any way.

Found the flags laying around the garage :)
I think you should put those flags lower so you can sink them!!!!!

Thalasso

Commander

To much being made of this situation. It isn't a jet ski trailer that turns quicker. Just practice and when you see the trailer appearing a little in one mirror more then the other just correct a little. Use your side mirrors and not the rear view. Geez

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

To much being made of this situation. It isn't a jet ski trailer that turns quicker. Just practice and when you see the trailer appearing a little in one mirror more then the other just correct a little. Use your side mirrors and not the rear view. Geez
Once the OP gets used to backing up with his new rig, he likely won't need the visual aids.

The_Kid

Chief Petty Officer

That might work if he could see the trailer. Here's a quote from his original post.

without the boat on the trailer its pretty tough because I cant see the trailer when I back up

I have the same problem on some ramps with my F250. Luckily my winch post is back far enough I can drop the tailgate.

chriscraft254

Commander

Its posts like these that remind me why I see so many people at the ramp taking way to long to load and unload,lol Practice makes perfect. :)

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Sometimes..... Other times practice sets bad habits in stone
LOL

Btw... Sat and Sun both look great.... Jus sayin ;)