gravel damage to bulbs

mr geets

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have clearance lights on my trailer in front of each fender. Despite mudflaps and rock tamer skirt on my truck, the lens of the clearance lights get blasted and broken. Any ideas on how to save them?

Splat

Lieutenant
Re: gravel damage to bulbs

The only thing I can think of is using a clear protector over the lens to help a bit. Something like the product made by invisi-shield for cell phone screens. It's a rubbery film that works wonders on all kinds of things. It's also the same product some auto detailers apply over rocker panels to prevent rock chips.

limitout

Banned

relocate them to the trailer frame so they face to the side and not forward is about all you can do and slow down on the gravel sections of the road.

if that's not an option then stop, get out, and tie a towel over them when you get to the gravel road section

Last edited:

UncleWillie

Captain

Slow down, If the lights are getting smashed by the gravel, imagine what is happening to the hull! :eek:

mr geets

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Great idea. I will give it a try.
Thanks
Bob

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Slow down, If the lights are getting smashed by the gravel, imagine what is happening to the hull! :eek:

I agree. however simple shipping tape, two layers may work. then again, if your blasting along at 90mph, you may want to cover your boat with it too.

mr geets

Petty Officer 3rd Class
clearance light protection

I am looking for protection for the front facing amber clearance lights on my trailer fenders. I use a "skirt" (or brush or whatever) across the back of my vehicle that lessens stone damage.

I am looking for a mesh (?) to protect the lens from stone damage.

Any ideas? Yeah, I know, stay off gravel :)

I searched prior to starting another topic but did not come up with answers

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Bumping a thread resurrection??
Had to get it on the current trailer/towing page w the 2nd topic I wanted to merge it w.

Mr Geets, did you try either moving the lights to the trailer rails or the packing tape across the lenses, as suggested in the original topic?

Last edited: