EZ Loader Trailer issue with transom saver attachment. Help anyone?

robertjp

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Recently I got a 2012 EZ loader bunk trailer (19'), nice trailer but on the very back where the transom saver attachment socket would have to attach there is a long LED light that is smack in the way. I have looked at several types of sockets but the light is in the way of everything. There is 1 drain hole I could use to mount one but then it wouldn't drain properly. (i dont think)trailer2.JPGtrailer3.JPGtrailerlight.JPG See pics. Does anybody out there have a solution they can share with a ez loader trailer? Im at a loss and I need the transom saver cause its a 115 HP engine. Thanks very much.

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: EZ Loader Trailer issue with transom saver attachment. Help anyone?

If you are not married to the lights, take them off. then you can mount the TS bracket.
Mine has a wheel mounted over the top of the lights and I put the TS on that.
You can also replace the lights with individual ones and put the mount beside the middle light. No law says either the light or the mount has to be exactly in the middle so split the difference.

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class

In some regions, trailers (utility, boat, RV) wider than 80" must have rear identify lights. It's the law. If the centre light is in the way, simply buy 2 x matching ID light bars and install them on each side. Then, install the Transom Saver bar exactly in the centre. See below for example my boat…

Last edited:

robertjp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah I was afraid I was going to have to do that. What a pain...a brand new trailer and I have to modify it for the most common use. I already gave ez loader a piece of my mind. I hate to use/block the drain hole and afraid to drill another thinking I could hit a wire. Thanks much.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

why not add a keel roller and use it for your deflopperizer mount

robertjp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are you saying to add a roller to a bunk trailer just so I can mount the transom saver bar? Then it would be in the way launching and retrieving wouldnt it?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

nope it would most likely be very helpful launching and retrieving

MANY bunk trailers have one or more keel rollers

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah I was afraid I was going to have to do that. What a pain...a brand new trailer and I have to modify it for the most common use. I already gave ez loader a piece of my mind. I hate to use/block the drain hole and afraid to drill another thinking I could hit a wire. Thanks much.

Many factories (auto, RV, utility trailer, boat trailer, snowmobiles, ATVs, etc. etc.) build to minimum code - and nothing more. Each time I buy something, I always improve their base build. Could be simple mud flaps, to adding extra rear lighting, to adding tinted windows, to adding ATF cooler, to adding my own cargo netting. For my Capri boat trailer, I had to add spare tire bracket and install my own spare tire - since their factory build doesn't include a spare tire. And, I added my own Transom Saver bar with 2 x ID LED bars (as shown in above picture). And, replaced their normal light bulbs with much better LED Light assemblies (for rear and fender mounted marker lights) as well. And, I did my own axle over leaf spring packs to get trailer higher off the ground as well. No need to get upset. Improving better than minimum factory build is "the norm" in our new world…. Be prepared to apply more future "better than factory build" improvements to your boat and trailer as well…

robertjp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Batman,

What brand transom saver are you using in the pic? Swivel eze???

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class

Batman, What brand transom saver are you using in the pic? Swivel eze???

I made it myself - using raw steel parts I had laying around my shop. Cost me 3 x welding rods and some gloss black paint. I even made my own boat guides as well. They cost me < $5 as well.

Like many folks, I can build these things better than buying items from a boat store. And, I made them better than store bought.

chriscraft254

Commander

I'm just guessing, but the light your concerned about is just a running light. More than likely you have two other lights right and left on your fenders of the trailer right? These are your main lights anyway, so you can remove the one that is in your way. Its two srews and probably some self stick behind the light. Two wires, just cut them of and cap and stick them back into the trailer frame. Or you can disconnect the wires from the other light that they run to. Pretty simple and actually that center light on some brand trailers is an extra.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I'm just guessing, but the light your concerned about is just a running light. More than likely you have two other lights right and left on your fenders of the trailer right? These are your main lights anyway, so you can remove the one that is in your way. Its two srews and probably some self stick behind the light. Two wires, just cut them of and cap and stick them back into the trailer frame. Or you can disconnect the wires from the other light that they run to. Pretty simple and actually that center light on some brand trailers is an extra.

Absolutely not.

These are his wide vehicle identification lights. They are a must have.

And Batman, you are not allowed to have multiple 3 light bars.
You can have as many clearance lamps as you want, but "exactly 3" is the wording for the wide vehicle lights.

7 Rear Identification Lamps
Indicate presence of a wide vehicle
Exactly 3
Red
On the rear - center, facing rearward - horizontally spaced 150 mm (6 in.) to 300 mm (12 in.) apart

Trailer Poster Table for Website

And yes, I know its a Canadian web site, but it mirrors US law.

Last edited:

robertjp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

roscoe,

So are you saying I can not remove the center red light? Or can it be replaced with 3 lights next to the bracket instead?

Also if it is exactly 3 lights plus the rear signal lamps then why did it come new from the factory with 1 center light and 2 rear signals? Now I have no idea what to do.

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

On my 2008 Shoreland'r the bracket for the transom saver is mounted under the crossmember and the light is still attached in original position.

chriscraft254

Commander

Not really sure if you understand, all he needs is two lights on the trailer. Combination lights, braking, signal and running lights will be on the fenders. The 3 light led in the middle is not needed, this is not a wide load either.
Absolutely not.

These are his wide vehicle identification lights. They are a must have.

And Batman, you are not allowed to have multiple 3 light bars.
You can have as many clearance lamps as you want, but "exactly 3" is the wording for the wide vehicle lights.

7 Rear Identification Lamps
Indicate presence of a wide vehicle
Exactly 3
Red
On the rear - center, facing rearward - horizontally spaced 150 mm (6 in.) to 300 mm (12 in.) apart

Trailer Poster Table for Website

And yes, I know its a Canadian web site, but it mirrors US law.

robertjp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well it is over 80".

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

roscoe,

So are you saying I can not remove the center red light? Or can it be replaced with 3 lights next to the bracket instead?

Also if it is exactly 3 lights plus the rear signal lamps then why did it come new from the factory with 1 center light and 2 rear signals? Now I have no idea what to do.

Correct, you can mount them separately, spread them out, they are to be 6-12 inches apart. Mounting the center light as close to center as possible , should be ok.

My transom saver is mounted to the bottom of the crossmember.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Not really sure if you understand, all he needs is two lights on the trailer. Combination lights, braking, signal and running lights will be on the fenders. The 3 light led in the middle is not needed, this is not a wide load either.

I suggest you read the trailer lighting specs.

Or better yet, run up to a DOT inspection center and ask them to check your lights to what is in the book.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

that light is a big red clue that you don't need a transom "saver" in the first place. It would be easier not to use one than to modify a new and legally-rigged trailer.

"If it ain't broke, fix it until it is."

robertjp

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What does the light have to do with a 600 lb motor bouncing up and down on the transom going down the highway? Of course I need one per Yamaha motors. It's only common sense to have one, would hate to have the motor come slamming down on the pavement.