changing tire size

jahightop

Recruit
New to this forum although I've been pulling trailers of all types for over 50 years. I have a bass tracker trailer that I got with a 17' bass boat. Its a nice enough trailer but I'd like to change the wheel/tire size from 13 to 14 inches so that I can get higher load rated tires for the trailer.
Does anyone have any experience doing this - I'm sure that I would have to change the fenders - any pitfalls or advice?
Thanks
JC

BrianNJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: changing tire size

I know someone that had problems with blown tires on his pontoon boat trailer. He increased wheel size and it solved the problem. He had to raise the fenders. I would have to check to see if any other changes were needed.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I can't imagine any 17' bass boat that couldn't be properly supported by 13" trailer tires.... I think you are looking for a solution to a nonexistent problem

welcome.....

why do you need a higher load rating on the tire? if the original tires are at there max load rating then the axle is probably near or at max as well.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Tires are part of the suspension in a boat trailer. Going for maximum overkill in the load rating just means your boat gets beat up more on road bumps.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

The only reason I would change tire size would be to gain or lose some ground clearance.

KX6D

Seaman

I'll answer your question since the others didn't...

Your first issue will be fender interference. Make sure the fenders will not come into contact with the tire at full suspension compression.

Your next issue will be bolt pattern and size. Most, but certainly not all, trailer wheels are 5 (lugs) on 4.5" (bolt circle). With the smaller wheels you sometimes find only 4-lugs. You will want to make suire your 14" wheel fits your hubs correctly. This may include that your hub is of the correct diameter. If you have a 5 on 4.5" hub already, I don't suspect you will have any issues. --IF-- you need to change hubs, make sure you get the right bearings for your axle spindle and new hub.

If load capacity is your only issue and not ground clearance, then follow SOTW's tire suggestion in message #5 above.

Lastly, if you go with a larger tire with a higher load range, you will need to experiment with your tire pressure a little bit. Too low of a pressure and your sidewalls may overheat and blow your tire. Too high of a tire pressure and you will beat your boat to death!

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Dino - KX6D

doyall

Petty Officer 1st Class

All things being equal, would a tire with a higher load rating be less susceptible to suffering a failure than a lesser load rated tire?

fish hook

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I did this on my 04 Tahoe Q4 trailer. Went with new radial tires - had to upsize because they did not offer a radial in the OEM size. I raised the fenders about 1.5" and also had to spread them a little (the fender radius flattened out when re-mounted). I also had to cut new inside plywood fender covers because they now didn't fit either and covered them with new marine carpeting. Turned out real nice. Have made a few 300-500 mile trips and it pulls great.

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Look at your trailer to see if how the fenders are mounted and to see if there is another set of mounting holes on the mounting plate. My old one has such an arrangement and your might.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Absolutely do NOT "experiment with tire pressure" Trailer tires are to be run at the pressure stated on the sidewall.... The tires on the trailer more specifically a boat trailer should be selected to put the max load just over the load being carried... If the boat is being beat up then you have the wrong tire under it.

KX6D

Seaman

All things being equal, would a tire with a higher load rating be less susceptible to suffering a failure than a lesser load rated tire?
Not if you didn't inflate the tire correctly. This is probably the #1 cause of almost all trailer tire failures. #2 would be letting them rot in the sun.

KX6D

Seaman

Absolutely do NOT "experiment with tire pressure" Trailer tires are to be run at the pressure stated on the sidewall.... The tires on the trailer more specifically a boat trailer should be selected to put the max load just over the load being carried... If the boat is being beat up then you have the wrong tire under it.
Absolutely DO! And be sure to do it right! All tires give the maximum tire pressure for the maximum load rating. If your trailer comes under that maximum load, you need to adjust your tire pressure accordingly! You can ruin a tire by over inflation as well as under inflation. Do not under inflate your tires!

rbh

Fleet Admiral

Higher the trailer, the deeper the water needs to be to launch/retrieve.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Absolutely DO! And be sure to do it right! All tires give the maximum tire pressure for the maximum load rating. If your trailer comes under that maximum load, you need to adjust your tire pressure accordingly! You can ruin a tire by over inflation as well as under inflation. Do not under inflate your tires!

Again as I stated.. if the boat and trailer are light for the weight rating on the tires then it has the wrong tires on it.