Adding surge brakes to a ShoreLand'R with single 3500# axle 14" wheels

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Any experiences good or bad or suggestions on a good kit/source for a full setup with surge coupler, all lines, and disc brakes. I don't need stainless, but looked at a couple of articles comparing Tiedown and Kodiak- older references seem to say avoid Tiedown, then newer ones seem to say that Tiedown brand is now good quality.

No brakes on the trailer currently.

I think I would prefer to stick with the kits where the rotors slip over the existing hub rather than replace hubs and maybe drums would be fine too, but discs appeal to me from a pre-trip inspection perspective.

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Adding surge brakes to a ShoreLand'R with single 3500# axle 14" wheels

Guess it depends on your trailer. When I added brakes to my shorelander I just bought the factory kit from them that had everything you needed.

oldjeep

Admiral

On second though, maybe mine is a Karavan. In any event, I'd call Shorelandr and see what they get for the complete kit

NHGuy

Captain

I'd recommend easternmarine.com. Good major brand stuff at best prices I have found. Or get part #s and Google them.
I think a kit would likely be your best bet. Although if the trailer company makes a kit with prebent steel lines, that would get my attention. Bending the lines neatly and flaring them for the hydraulic fittings takes some tools and patience. It's not super hard to do. I just like to do things well.
The installation will be far easier with the boat off the trailer. I bet I could do it on a Sunday if there was no football to break my concentration.

Starcraft5834

Lieutenant Commander

I installed complete surge system on my Shorlandr, installed new axle too. Eastern marine place to go,,,,get Tie Down stuff

lrak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you can't afford Kodiak get the UFP/Trailer Buddy stuff that costs even less than Tie Down. The odds of regretting a Tie Down purchase are very high.

04fxdwgi

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I would first check to see if your axle has the brake flanges welded on behind the hubs. If not, then they would need to be added. If not there, may be easier / cheaper to change the axle to one with the flanges. If they are there, and if they are within your budget, the Kodiaks are the way to go.

I swapped single axle drums over to dual axle Kodiak discs and never looked back, not having a single problem with them since installation. Kodiak does also offer the slip on rotor assembly's as a selection. I got mine here: Disc Brake Kits

iBoats does offer a complete conversion kit, but are not slip on rotors, use all rubber brake lines (I like the metalics, myself) and are Tie Downs. 10" Vented Rotor Brake Installation Kit - Tie Down Engineering 82405 - iboats

It's your call.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

I would install electric drums and spend less money. They work better and are vastly simpler.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

I've had surge drums on my trailer about 10 years, the issues with them is that the pistons for the wheel cylinders will eventually seize when used in salt water. I have made them last longer by packing the area under the dust boot with marine grease and sealing the boot and push rod with high temp RTV to keep the salt water out. Also I pack the threads of the adjuster with the same grease (OMC/Bombardier triple guard grease). Doing these 2 simple things has made them last a long time. Most I might have to do is replace the wheel cylinders about every 5-6 seasons. I like drum brakes because they provide more braking torque at lower actuator pressures and they do not drag like disc brakes. Lastly no back up solenoid needed like with discs (drums can be made free backing). Electrics do work better but its enough of a hassle to keep trailer lights working here in salt water. I wound up running separate ground straps to solve that problem.