Transom Saver on Scissor Trailer??

A few questions pertaining to trailering a 20 foot Misty Harbor with Merc 90 Four Stroke with a Trophy Scissor trailer (20T-47):

1. I've looked and called high and low and cannot find any solution to a transom saver for this combonation. Has anyone ever dealt with this or seen it? By the looks of it, the bar would have to be extremely long... 6 feet maybe??

2. If there is no transom saver available, is this a legitimate worry? The pontoon is rated for a 90 H.P. and the worry is that while trailering, the bouncing of the pontoon and motor is jeopardizing the transom. Everyone that I have talked to said that the transom is made to handle this and that is why there is no transom saver.

3. Also, is there a "best" solution to this with no saver? i.e. motor position, or any other devices?...

Thanks!!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Transom Saver on Scissor Trailer??

Generally there is no need for a transom saver if the boat can be trailered with the motor in the full down position. There is generally more than adequate clearance between the skeg on the motor and the road so tilting the motor is not necessary so stress on the transom is not an issue.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Up or down, it doesn't matter; your transom doesn't need saving. If trailering hurts it, better to learn on dry land and replace it!

The only risk of any harm from trailering with the motor on the tilt lock is that on an extreme bounce, the motor goes up, the spring on the tilt lock reverses itself, the tilt lock closes on its own, and the motor drops to a down position and hits the street. try lifting your motor off the tilt lock to see how likely that is!

That can be prevented by one of two methods: tie the motor down, or tie a block of wood up under the motor (you can also lower the motor onto a block of wood, but secure it there since it doesn't have a spring mechanism to hold it in place.) Or both, as recommended by the Department of Redundancy Department.

if your motor while down clears the street, no risk of harm if it falls. if it clears by a lot, drive with it down, but be mindful of driveway humps or other road lumps.

I would think that if you could rig a transom saver on a scissors trailer you may be directing serious forces onto a flexible frame that isn't made for it. better to get a trailer saver than a transom saver!

oldjeep

Admiral

Flexible frame? Scissor trailers are built like tanks