Looking for bracket to attach bolster bracket to round tube, Odd trailer design.

adamjr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sorry I don't have pictures to put up yet but I made a drawing (sorry, not to scale) and I'll try to be as descriptive as possible. My trailer is home built by the previous owner of my 68 Starcraft 18 ft. Holiday V. It's a tandem axle trailer and the bunk setup is really strange. I've been working on the boat and not too concerned with the trailer until now since I'm getting close on the vessel.

The trailer was designed with a crank operated tilt mechanism and the bunks are operated by some kind of lever. Best I can tell is that the bunks would normally be "down" and you when you would land the boat on the trailer you would pull the lever and that would lift the stern and pull the boat forward into the bow roller while also lifting the boat off of the keel rollers. It's only the 5th boat trailer I've owned but I've never seen anything like it. I want to abandon and remove this setup and move to straight vertical bunks.

The way the trailer itself is built is also a little odd. The frame of the trailer is standard C channel steel. The supports that go from right to left alternate between square tube and round tube. The farthest back is square, then round, then square and so forth. If I install bolster brackets going from the stern forward I would need to mount them square, square, round. I have not been able to find a bracket that I could bolt to the round tube that would give me a flat surface on which to bolt the farthest forward bracket.

Toward the right is what i think i would need to be labeled as a bolster support. Otherwise am I overthinking it as usual and since I would have the rear and middle mounted to square tubes would I be okay with mounting the foraward bolster directly to the round tube with a standard u-bolt?

Thanks in advance to the trailering guru's.

Last edited:

GT1000000

Rear Admiral
Re: Looking for bracket to attach bolster bracket to round tube, Odd trailer design.

No trailer expert here, but I found this in a chain link fence catalog...

Called a Perlin Clamp...

perlinclamp_sm.jpg

Perlin Clamps - Page 129 - Hoover Fence Co. - Fence Retailers and Wholesalers

adamjr

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Looking for bracket to attach bolster bracket to round tube, Odd trailer design.

Thanks. Looking at it I don't think it will give the support I need. I might head to Farm and Fleet tomorrow. I am wondering if maybe I could modify a leaf spring mount to do what I want it to.