Are ratchet straps legal for transom straps?

matt167

Captain
I'm possibly buying a cheap 'flipper' boat that I can use to get on the water once or twice for this season and then sell beginning of next season.. It does not have transom straps on the trailer and I don't have a set of 'good' transom straps but have probably 20 ratchet straps including some 3" straps.. Can I use the ratcheting straps as a transom strap/s?

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Are ratchet straps legal for transom straps?

Sure. Actually, I don't know that "transom straps" is an actual TYPE of strap, so I dunno what other style you use. Ratcheting tie-downs are actually what is recommended. Just don't use the old jaw-clamp style as they won't hold nearly as much as the ratchet-style do.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

As far as I know, there is no legal requirement. It is up to the cop to determine if you have an improperly or inadequately secured load. If the boat is not bouncing on the trailer, no police will stop you: There is no good cause.

matt167

Captain

IIRC, transom straps are a legal requirement here in NY.. I know my dads boats have always had the strap that goes over the back, and one had load binders on the end of the strap ( the kind with a chain you turn the nut to tighten, grab the handle and pull up to lock )

In any case, I lost the auction to the boat. Went up too much to buy a boat sight unseen.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

Entirely up to the state, and even beyond that, up to the cop. In my area, its fairly rare to see transom straps, and I'd be willing to be there probably hasn't been a single case of someone being pulled over for it. Even more interesting, i've seen the game and fish as well as the sheriff pulling their boat without transom straps.

etracer68

Ensign

Common sense is not that common, comes to mind.

Thalasso

Commander

As someone on here used to say, some oil is better then no oil. It's the same with transom straps. Some type, be whatever they are is better then none.

NYBo

Admiral

If you use ratchet straps, they must be marine-rated to prevent an explosion in the engine compartment.:target:

:sorry:

matt167

Captain

I'll just run the battery dead 5 mins before starting, and all should be good..

I found another boat I may go look at for a donor.. a junk 1974 Sport Craft Tri Hull with a clean Mercury 850 long shaft... Powerhead should swap onto my 650's mid section/ lower unit and I could hide the 85hp block behind vintage 65hp cowlings and covers, but they are both 4cyls and the weight should be the same or very similar. Just would make my boat 35hp overpowered according to the original 50hp rating.

And the boat still has no transom straps.. I really thought they were a requirement here in NY tho they may not. I just know that I will not tow a boat without it being fully secured.

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I would think if you just threw a strap over the bow and stern and attached to the trailer and each straps met or exceeded the total weight of the boat you would be fine, but read your rule book.

matt167

Captain

I would think if you just threw a strap over the bow and stern and attached to the trailer and each straps met or exceeded the total weight of the boat you would be fine, but read your rule book.

I'm sure that's probably the case.. Tho I think the winch strap and a safety is sufficent for the bow

rbh

Fleet Admiral

I'm sure that's probably the case.. Tho I think the winch strap and a safety is sufficent for the bow

The winch strap and safety chain would be for front to back holding, the straps over the boat would be for a lateral/horizontal movement?? hit a bump boat jumps out of cradle, trailer tips over, ETC

cribber

Lieutenant

Why chance it whether transom straps are required or not. I like the ratcheting kind since I just press the release lever and drop the hook. And it is always there ready to go when we trailer home.

Last edited: