Bow eye: Stupid question of the day

brainula

Cadet
I am an avid, experienced sailor and have done 2 complete boat restorations. I know about boat wiring and plumbing and fairing and fiberglass repair and even gelcoating and all that jazz.....BUT:

Why did they design bow eyes or transom eyes with those 2 pokey things to stop the fitting from rotating?

Makes perfect sense on a wood hull, but what is the proper way to install them and to treat the holes that the pokers are going to make in a fiberglass hull?

Do you tighten to just get a small indentation then remove the fitting and carefully drill and then fill the holes with gel or 5300?

What is the proper way to deal with these sharp little guys?

Brianna

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: Bow eye: Stupid question of the day

Yea, I think you are talking about the less expensive, single bolt bow eyes . . . better to have the full "U" bolt eye IMHO.

Anyway, a small drill hole in the 2 places mentioned should do the trick. I would not let the locating 'spikes' dig their own hole in the gelcoat/fiberglass, as it would crack the surface and loose its grip.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

agreed and I don't think it's necessary to fill or seal them

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

I simply would not buy that type. As a sailor, you should know the importance of really good tackle: Rigging and sails are the engine so the best is what you should want.

For the extra couple of bucks, a full stainless loop is a much better investment--unless you are replacing to sell the boat. And no, it doesn't even make sense on a wood hull to use the single stud bow eye. The eye is chrome plated white metal and is 1. prone to pitting and corrosion and 2. weaker.

Last edited:

59 Fatty

Petty Officer 1st Class

The stainless U bolt is the right thing to use. But my old boat had those single studs, and when I replaced them, I drilled for the spike holes and filled them with 5300. Never had a problem.

sameh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well, I was about to ask similar question. my boat should have its eye replaced. it has the area where the u bolt inters the bow been cracked and fallen so that relatively a large circular area is open, about 1.5 inch).
should i seal it with fiber first, drill holes for the bow eye u spikes or have the u eye fitted then filled with sealer other than fiber glass?

also i am worried about the movement of the u bolt!

NYBo

Admiral

If you have a 1.5" opening in the hull, repair the hole before trying to fit a new bow eye. But maybe I'm misreading; a picture of the damage would be helpful.

sameh

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you have a 1.5" opening in the hull, repair the hole before trying to fit a new bow eye. But maybe I'm misreading; a picture of the damage would be helpful.
I think you got me right. sorry for my english.
will have picture tomorrow for this thread.
If I got you right, fiber glass repair is the solution.
I have fiber straps and resin, any way how to do the repair: from inside, outside, how many layers, how to cut the straps..etc..