Lowe FM175 towing

Pony

Rear Admiral
I recently bought a 2005 LOWE FM175s with 115hp Optimax and am storing it at my dad's house as I don't have room here. He might want to take it out when I am unable to go with him, but his tow vehicle is a 96' Jeep Cherokee Country with 4.0L engine. I suggested to him that I thought the boat was too much for his jeep. (and for the record I am not one of those people that think you need a truck to do everything). I have looked on jeep forums and a few other places and seen fairly passionate yes and no answers. From what I can find the tow capacity of his jeep is 2500lbs (I have seen many quotes well above that, but it makes no sense to me).

The boats listed dry weight is about 1400lbs, the engine I would assume is around 700lbs with a fuel load of fuel add another 220lbs, plus the trailer (maybe 8-900lbs??), and other gear and equipment. I would put that at 3100 or 3200lbs without including batteries and trolling motors and gear.

I think I told him correctly........even though I have read all over the jeep forum that the jeep can pull that weight no problem. Thoughts??

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
Re: Lowe FM175 towing

I have used the jeeps and I believe that's the straight 6 cyl and those do fine on towing, The only problem I ever ran across is the trailer lighting problems jeep is known for, While its not a power house it will tow fine, it has lots of toque. The breaking is decent. Some of the jeep guys may know a lot more than I do about this though.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Wow, nice rig Pony, quite the step up.

According to NADA:
The motor is 375#
hull should be 1130#
trailer, should be around 500-600

so, 2100 plus batteries and gas at 7# per gallon
2400# plus fishing gear.

If you really think it comes in at 3100#, you need brakes.

Really a sharp looking rig.
I think his 4L Jeep should do ok.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Wow, nice rig Pony, quite the step up.

According to NADA:
The motor is 375#
hull should be 1130#
trailer, should be around 500-600

so, 2100 plus batteries and gas at 7# per gallon
2400# plus fishing gear.

If you really think it comes in at 3100#, you need brakes.

Really a sharp looking rig.
I think his 4L Jeep should do ok.

I saw the 1,130lbs on Lowe's website for the current model as I just looked, never thought to look at NADA. On the tag from the sale it listed the hull weight at 1,396lbs.......starting to wonder if they added the motor to get that weight.

Also I overestimated the trailer weight to be sure.....even if the hull weighs more I might be at 2,700lbs and not what I was thinking.

Might just have to hook up the jeep and drive it around and see how it handles. I have towed some 4x8 trailers full of dirt and limestone with his jeep and it struggled. I am not so worried about the motor handling it....that little 4L can be a beast.......the wheelbase stinks though.

NYBo

Admiral

I believe the Cherokee with the 4.0L is rated to tow 5000# (2500# is the rating for the four cylinder, IIRC). Your rig is well under that. However, the brakes on the Cherokee are considered marginal for towing by many. Dad will have to keep that in mind.

oldjeep

Admiral

That is no problem for a 4.0 Cherokee. I used to pull around a Jeep CJ on a tow dolly with one.

Pony

Rear Admiral

I believe the Cherokee with the 4.0L is rated to tow 5000# (2500# is the rating for the four cylinder, IIRC). Your rig is well under that. However, the brakes on the Cherokee are considered marginal for towing by many. Dad will have to keep that in mind.

Not sure how I missed that the 2500# rating was the 4 cyl.

The rig should be within the limits then.......hard for me to believe that it can handle 5k with that wheelbase and unibody. Will definitely have to keep braking in mind.

I don't think he has had any trailer lighter issues that other jeeps have had.

mbfish

Seaman Apprentice

I have nearly the same rig - 2006 FS175. I stopped at the weigh scales the other day and with 2/3 tank of fuel and minimal extra fishing gear I was at 2950 lbs - boat, motor (Honda 90), 1 battery, 3 rods, tackle box, 3 life jackets, small cooler and trailer. So, if you have an extra trolling motor, batteries and such, you could easily be at your originally estimated 3100 lbs.

Last edited:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I would put that at 3100 or 3200lbs without including batteries and trolling motors and gear.

Check your axle & tire ratings... If that weight is true, I'm willing to bet you are well over both of those. 3000#+ pounds starts to put it into tandem axle territory, and that boat would look strange with a tandem below it.

Last edited:

Pony

Rear Admiral

Check your axle & tire ratings... If that weight is true, I'm willing to bet you are well over both of those. 3000#+ pounds starts to put it into tandem axle territory, and that boat would look strange with a tandem below it.

The tires are load class C.....so should be good to carry 3500-3600lbs.