Before I order Bearing Buddies...

newcomlr

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hubs have what I'll call "poor mans" (Sun Tracker Trailstar) protector caps now (see photo). Have the rubber plug in middle over grease fittings.

photo (4).jpg

I assume you just pry off with a screw driver? I tried a bit with old screwdriver and a hammer, but they didn't seem to budge. Before I really whacked em, I thought I'd check. For now, I just want to get one off so I can measure and order B-Buddies.

Thanks in advance!

joelybob

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Before I order Bearing Buddies...

I just hit them on one side then the other back in forth out near the end. they should work there way out.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

I have BBs on all my trailers, but I've never been so lucky as to have the setup like yours. Thus, the name of yours escapes me at the moment.

You don't need BBs. Grease what you have and be done with it. You have the best system now, so don't change!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

How do you know he has ez lubes until you see what's under the cap? I bought some hubs that came with that exact cap.

I actually think BBs actually compliment an ez-lube system anyway.

Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Hubs have what I'll call "poor mans" (Sun Tracker Trailstar) protector caps now (see photo). Have the rubber plug in middle over grease fittings.

View attachment 203998

I assume you just pry off with a screw driver? I tried a bit with old screwdriver and a hammer, but they didn't seem to budge. Before I really whacked em, I thought I'd check. For now, I just want to get one off so I can measure and order B-Buddies.

Thanks in advance!

Why would you down grade to BB.

oldjeep

Admiral

How do you know he has ez lubes until you see what's under the cap?

Well, since he says "Have the rubber plug in middle over grease fittings."

So I'd assume that he has a through axle grease system. No need for bearing buddies (on any axle really)

newcomlr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok all the above helps. I'm not used to the words "cadillac of" being used in reference to Sun Tracker :D

I should have clarified...of my four hubs, only two still have the rubber plug intact. Plus I think the previous owner was either just messy or way over injected grease. See pics.

photo (5).jpgphoto (6).jpg

My desire to replace was driven by a) two of the rubber plugs being gone, and b) even with the ones with the rubber plugs on a hot day grease drips out on to the wheels.

I'm guessing I can just leave all as is, wipe away some of the excess grease that is on the outside of the inner "bearing buddy like" shell. Or should I try to remove and replace with EZ Lubes to get back to original state?

oldjeep

Admiral

There is nothing to replace in your pictures except the $1.00 rubber cap that covers your zerks. If they have been open like that, then your should repack/replace the bearings - your grease looks like crap, unless you have been using the cheapest car chassis grease you can buy (axle bearing grease doesn't normally look that color)

Last edited:

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Grease mixed with water makes baby poop and that looks like what he has. Time to take it apart, clean and repack.

Thalasso

Commander

Grease mixed with water makes baby poop and that looks like what he has. Time to take it apart, clean and repack.

Apparently you don't know how easy lube hubs work. No need to take them apart if the caps were kept on. Pump new grease in untill new starts to come out.

saumon

Lieutenant

Although Tracker boats themselves were not known for being the "Cadillac" of boats, they've always used the EZ-Lube axles on their Trailstar trailers, which is easily the best system out there.

As others said, simply put in new grease until the old one come out. Do NOT use any other cap or bearing buddies, simply remove a bit of grease with you finger before putting the rubber cap on, to let some space for expansion.

EZLUBE_line.jpg

oldjeep

Admiral

Apparently you don't know how easy lube hubs work. No need to take them apart if the caps were kept on. Pump new grease in untill new starts to come out.

Well - sort of. You can't really flush all of the contaminated grease out that way. Best bet is to disassemble, inspect and clean the bearing and repack. Then you can use the ezlubes to finish packing the bearings.

UncleWillie

Captain

The "Cadillac" was only referring to the Axles, not the Boat. :D

You can replace 99.99% of the grease without removing the Hubs.
It IS important that you Jack up the Axle and Spin the Wheel while pumping in the Grease.
Otherwise you will only replace the grease on one side of the axle.

That "Minor Detail" is Very important.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

As long as your not getting grease out of the back seals get 4 brand new rubber caps and flush as advised above, and all you have to do to stop any grease from seeping out is to take a finger and wipe out the excess and put the rubber caps on.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You definitely take them apart and clean properly. You need to inspect them for any corrosion/pitting besides replacing the grease.

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

I am familiar with how they are meant to work. Caps obviously not on. I would tear down and inspect. I prefer to do my repairs in the garage and not on the side of the road.

newcomlr

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Very good info from all. Thank you! I'm glad I asked.

I'll order new rubber plugs. The E-Z Lube Grease Caps screw on, correct? I'll lube them all up now, and disassemble and inspect at end of season.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

The rubber caps just sort of push in and it fits in with a sort of lip type seal you will see it on the rubber caps.