1975 Tahiti Bow Eye Problem

bassboy416

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The factory bow eye is just starting to pull out on one side about 1/4". It is still pretty good but does have a tiny tiny bit of wiggle to it. It looks like years of pressure from pulling it out of the water has caused it. When I look at the bow, I have no idea how I would get inside to find where it is bolted. How do you get to the bolts holding on the eye on this particular boat? Is this a water leak hazard if the boat is used again? Thanks for your help.

etracer68

Ensign
Re: 1975 Tahiti Bow Eye Problem

I dont know what a type boat an Tahiti is, if its an open bow, then you may be able to get to the back (inside) from removing a bow cushon. If its a closed bow, most times you can get to the inside, by crawling under the bow cap. Then again you may have to cut an access hole. And yes water will get in, and cause problems, it should be sealed with 5200 sealent. There also should be a backing plate.

bassboy416

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Here is a picture of a similar boat. Took a cursory look under the bow... Doesn't look like easy access at all if any access. so I would have to cut the bow? Tahiti Boat.JPG

etracer68

Ensign

If you cant get to it from under the bow, then, yes, you may have to cut the bow deck. They do make access plates (round, about 6inch diameter). Boats, are fun, but sometimes, and real, PITA.