Do trailer slides work make that big of difference?

wiegs

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Bought trailer slides for our pontoon trailer because getting the boat that last 6 inches was a big strain on the winch and stairs. I have not installed yet but how much of a difference does it make? It was a couple hundred for them and not sure on keeping.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: Do trailer slides work make that big of difference?

well........they work better on a fiberglass hull but they might help.......have you tried silicone spray on the bunk carpets??

Thalasso

Commander

How much? How many feet of slicks did you buy? I put them on mine but my boat is fiberglass. If not careful the thing will be airborne (figuratively speaking) in a heartbeat.

BobGlover

Seaman

They'll help a lot--but like Thalasso says BE SURE you don't unhook the boat 'til you're ready to launch! I love mine, but a friend unhooked his bass boat before he was ready to launch & it bounced a couple of times on the ramp...landed a couple of feet from the water's edge! After spending $400 to fix the hole in the boat he was ready to go again..

wiegs

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I bought enough to cover 6 boards at 15 ft. I may try spraying the bunk with silicon first. If that works well, return the slides.

UncleWillie

Captain

... I may try spraying the bunk with silicon first. If that works well, return the slides.

That is a great idea!

I use a bunk lube. When prepping the boat I loosen the Bow Strap an Inch or two.
By the time I get the boat to the bottom of the ramp, half the time, it has slid back on its own.

I stop with the winch at the waters edge and then , and ONLY Then, unhook the Winch strap and Safety strap.
I then back up until the far end of the bunks just start to go underwater, and firmly "Bump" the brakes.
The Boat launches itself with 80% of the bunks still out of the water.
I have had other boaters at the ramp comment numerous times at how easy it was done!

The first time you apply the lube, you will want to do it on DRY Bunks.
Launch the boat an then return to the ramp about an hour before you expect to recover the boat.
Apply the lube and go back boating while it dries.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Depends on how old the boat is and how long you intend to keep it. When bunk carpeting gets real old it may tear and you know it needs to be replaced. But long before that it gets kinda "sticky" and the spray won't help.

Most of my trailers are all roller, but I have 2 that are either all bunk (short jetski) or a combo. Silicone is a short term solution, but bunk slicks are forever. Second best thing since sliced bread. If you are trying to save money, take them back. If you want a long term solution that you don't have to worry about, put them on and go boating with no hassles.

Boats falling off the trailer is NEVER a problem!!! Whether you have Slicks, bunks, all rollers, carpet sprayed with Pam vegetable oil, a silicone sprayed bottom, or rotted twobafore bunks that are glued to the boat, if you take the tie downs and winch off the boat before you're in launch position, you shouldn't be allowed on the launch ramp!