Trouble with my trailer rigging

auchandler1

Seaman Apprentice
I have a serious problem guys! I need to adjust my trailer so it can fit my boat. My problem is that the front of the boat at the keel where the roller hits. It became damage from the boat due from to much weight and now it's scrapping the actual trailer which is a serious problem. How do I fix this? Can I raise the bunks on the trailer? Please help...keel.JPG

DWavs

Cadet
Re: Trouble with my trailer rigging

Looks like a weld job and a new roller is needed.

DWavs

Cadet

I am far from am expert but couldn't the cracked piece in the picture be welded back?

DWavs

Cadet

Or maybe I am seeing the picture incorrectly?

auchandler1

Seaman Apprentice

So just replace the roller assembly? Would this problem happen again if I just replaced it?

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

So just replace the roller assembly? Would this problem happen again if I just replaced it?

You may have other problems that need to be corrected but stuff does fail at some point in time even when everything is perfect. More pictures of the boat and trailer would help one of us help you.

I would use some serious washers on the bracket side. Almost none of the hardware vendors provide everything you need.

That image was a 12". You need to measure your roller and then shop for keel roller with bracket or keel roller assembly.

A simple wood jig and a jack stand can support the boat while you swap it out.

auchandler1

Seaman Apprentice

I'll get some more pictures tomorrow. What if the bolts holding it is to hard to get off. How can I approach this?

crabby captain john

Lieutenant Commander

Spray with Liquid Wrench or similar. Add a little heat. Hack saw. It is not too tough-- or just take it to any boat repair facility.

I'll get some more pictures tomorrow. What if the bolts holding it is to hard to get off. How can I approach this?

auchandler1

Seaman Apprentice

Also will raising the bunks give some pressure off the roller?

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Spray with Liquid Wrench or similar. Add a little heat............ .

What he said and use a 36" breaker bar socket on each side with 6 point sockets if you have them. I promise it will break free. Well break at least.

Without the extra pics........... Your boat looks like a V. V trailers often have a series of rollers along the keel as well as bunks, adding or adjusting can reduce the weight.

For temp support while changing a simple 2x4 across the trailer frame to the rear of the roller should be all the support you need.