Using barge cement for bunk carpet on new bunks - or something else?

The_Other_Dave

Seaman Apprentice
I have a trailer that is in need of new bunks because one of them has
a crack lengthwise along it.

I have the wood and new carpet picked out but I was wondering
what people use for glue/cement.

Barge cement is a contact adhesive use mostly for shoes but my
rafting buddies swear by it for doing things like carpet/foam to
other hard objects.

Any thoughts or other ideas?

Thanks,

Dave

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Using barge cement for bunk carpet on new bunks - or something else?

I did mine with regular out door carpet adhesive. It seems to be holding fine. I dont see why barge cemet wouldnt work. Just make sure what ever you use doesnt soak through the carpet.

oldjeep

Admiral

Never heard of using adhesive before. Every one I've seen is stapled.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I've always used galvanized roofing nails. No glue.

scubacuda

Seaman Apprentice

Staples a lot of staples a lot ,if the glue soaks thru the carpet it keeps it from sliding on the bunks

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

I've spent the last week prying up my basement floor, and re-glueing it with the correct vinyl tile mastic. There are many kinds of glues for flooring.

I use Lowes indoor-outdoor carpet on my bunks, and it only took 2 linear feet. The carpet is installed with 1 1/4" galvanized roofing nails. I've never had a second's problem.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I used contact cement on my current trailer. works great

cannonman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I used a pneumatic roofing stapler, worked great!

Don Hansen

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use stainless steel carpet tacks. What else.

DLH

ACrazyCanuck

Cadet

Hi all. Being a flooring installer, I thought I would chime in.
Chembond makes an indoor outdoor carpet adhesive that is oil based so it has great tack, and also waterproofs the backing. This will keep the wood dryer than with the water based in/out adhesives like the one made by Roberts that you can find at Home Depot. The glue will not soak through the carpet if you use a notched trowel to apply it. As for fasteners, galvanized staples wold be my choice, but there are lots of others.
To find the Chembond, try a flooring supply retailer. Hope that helps.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

I use monel staples. Mainly because they out last the stainless staples.

loose rivet

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi all. Being a flooring installer, I thought I would chime in.
Chembond makes an indoor outdoor carpet adhesive that is oil based so it has great tack, and also waterproofs the backing. This will keep the wood dryer than with the water based in/out adhesives like the one made by Roberts that you can find at Home Depot. The glue will not soak through the carpet if you use a notched trowel to apply it. As for fasteners, galvanized staples wold be my choice, but there are lots of others.
To find the Chembond, try a flooring supply retailer. Hope that helps.

I used Henry 263 adhesive on my trailer, got it from the local carpet wholesaler here. Not sure of the name but it was a strong, permanent bond but the fumes were pretty nasty. It was recommended for all outdoor surfaces and the guy said they even use it to install artificial turf over pavement.
I agree, coating the bunks in contact adhesive does do wonders for waterproofing the wood. Since most of my boats are aluminum, I use plain fir bunks, no pressure treated, so the coating of glue really makes a difference. Re-carpeting them though will be a mess though when the time comes. That stuff don't come off easy at all. I used it to carpet the floor of a neighbors boat a few years ago, he decided he didn't like carpet this spring and tried to pull up the carpet. He pulled up chunks of fiberglass in some spots and tore the carpet to bits in other places leaving just the carpet backing and glue stuck to the floor.

Ripfence

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just replaced my bunks today and used staples, I hope I don't end up wishing I'd used glue too!

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I find it ironic that while most of us would use stainless, galvanized or some other weather-resistant mounting hardware, the trailer manufacturers don't seem to care. I don't think I've ever seen a 'factory' bunk that DIDN'T have rusty hardware holding the carpet to it, or it to the trailer...

ACrazyCanuck

Cadet

I used Henry 263 adhesive on my trailer, got it from the local carpet wholesaler here. Not sure of the name but it was a strong, permanent bond but the fumes were pretty nasty. It was recommended for all outdoor surfaces and the guy said they even use it to install artificial turf over pavement.
I agree, coating the bunks in contact adhesive does do wonders for waterproofing the wood. Since most of my boats are aluminum, I use plain fir bunks, no pressure treated, so the coating of glue really makes a difference. Re-carpeting them though will be a mess though when the time comes. That stuff don't come off easy at all. I used it to carpet the floor of a neighbors boat a few years ago, he decided he didn't like carpet this spring and tried to pull up the carpet. He pulled up chunks of fiberglass in some spots and tore the carpet to bits in other places leaving just the carpet backing and glue stuck to the floor.

True. Using that type of glue inside the boat would make for a terrible job down the road to rip it out. However, since most folks resin the floors to waterproof them, you could try a pressure sensitive flooring glue for the inside carpet. It goes on with a trowel, is water cleanup, and when dries stays tacky to the touch. This would not give you a solid bond, but would allow the carpet to be pulled out super easy.
The reason I don't like loose lay carpet in a wet application, is that if the carpet is loose, then water will soak through it, then sit under the carpet and build mildew in the backing. After a while it stinks. Bonding the floor prevents this.....but makes for more work down the road for sure.....