Upgrading tire size?..Maybe...just maybe...

tonynoriega2

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hey guys... I am considering something and looking for insight.

Got my boat and trailer last year and am finally getting on the road to recovery...

The boat came with (5) 4.8x8 Wheels... tires are pretty much shot on all of them... and I think one wheel is bad.

So, down to about 4 possible functioning tires.

HF has the 4.8x8 2 ply tires and wheels for $30 a piece.

However, they also have the 4.8x12 for $50 a piece...tire and wheel.

Should I try to upgrade to the 12" tires, leaving me only 2 brand new tires...

Or keep the (4) 4.8x8, get two brand new tires for $35 a piece, at the local tire shop (total with stems and balancing came to $106) and have a couple for back up?

I got the trailer home on the fwy going 55 for about 30+ miles or so... so they held up, but man they just look tiny.
boat.jpg

foodfisher

Captain
Re: Upgrading tire size?..Maybe...just maybe...

Get the biggest "ST" tires that will fit under your fenders. No Broken plans = happy boating.

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm not a fan of small diameter tire on trailers either. With this in mind, I'd install 12" or even 13" tires (and rims) on that trailer's hubs. Since moving fenders can be a pain, one might want to re-positing the existing axle under its leaf springs. Thus, creating more distance from center hub to fender's underside - for the higher size tires. Perhaps you can borrow 1 x 12" or 13" tire, remove the current 8" tire and try one side out. Do keep trailer level with blocks or jack under the other side of the trailer. Then, decide if fender needs to be moved up or perhaps the axle needs to be re-positioned "under" its leaf springs.

Hope this helps...

lrak

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'd keep 4.8x8 so you don't need to back as far into the water. I prefer to have plenty of capacity though, so I would get at least 4.8x8 load range C and possibly 5.7x8 load range D tires. I believe the HF ones are load range B and from what I've seen HF's wheels and tire quality have gone down hill. A decade ago I'd say HF tires were fine (and most people would say I was crazy). Today I'd definitely get them elsewhere. Check out etrailer, eastern marine, and tires unlimited.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

There is nothing wrong with 8" wheels on a trailer.

Get the best tires you can find.

Service the wheel bearings.

Go boating.