Bearing Buddies

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer
This is my first trailer with bearing buddies so I have a few questions concerning greasing them. I use blue grease that turns grey between greasings. I have been just adding grease until some grey grease comes out along the sides but then I got to thinking that maybe the grease inside is all contaminated with water so it turns grey. This time I hand pumped a lot of grease in and a mixture of grey and blue grease just kept oozing out. So how do I know if I'm getting enough good grease into the bearing buddy? All I know is that a lot of new grease will come out before the grey stops oozing out.

t

oldjeep

Admiral
Re: Bearing Buddies

You need to take those apart, clean and repack with new seals.

gpfishingdude

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks! From what I can find it looks like there is supposed to be an oring around the piston on the buddies that keeps the grease from escaping out the front. Should I try to find the orings or just replace the whole buddy bearing. Like I said these are the first trailers I have owned that had bearing buddies. So this is a learning experience for me. I also read that if the buddies are working right that they will hold a pressure that keeps the water out. Right now I'm thinking that I should pull the bearings and clean and pack them and fix or replace the bearing buddies along with new rear seals. Does that sound right?

WIMUSKY

Staff member

Yep, clean, inspect(you don't want to see any pitting or discoloration), repack/replace bearings, replace seal and buddies.......

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

I have heard that supertech marine grease changes color over time. Don't know for sure, because I don't use it. If you are unsure of your bearings; pull, clean and repack.

Bearing buddies will not allow you to replace your old grease with new grease. Some of it will mix, but that's it.

bassman284

Commander

The newer bearing buddies have a weep hole in the side that will let a little grease escape when you've pumped in enough to put tension on the spring.