Atwood surge brakes issues.

jrian81

Recruit
First time posting since I could normally find answers using search, but this time no luck searching the forums. So story goes a good friend of mine just bought a new used four winns 190 horizon that had sat in a heated shop for almost 15 years unused. The boat is amazing but the trailer is giving me problems. It has a dual axle trailer with drums on all wheels, but none of the brakes are working. Checked it out and the master cylinder was almost empty and nasty. I tried filling and bleeding but nothing would come out of the bleeder valves. So then I disconnected the brake line from the master cylinder and went to pump well it only spits out a tiny bit of fluid on maybe the last 1/8 of the stroke. Is that normal? Car brakes aren't like that. My plan is figure out if the coupler should be rebuilt or just replaced, pricing it sounds like its a push cost wise. Then im going to blow the lines out and install new cylinders, but its mostly the actuator I am a little clueless about. By the way it the 6000 lbs atwood bolt on hydraulic actuator.

Silly Seville

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Atwood surge brakes issues.

The master cylinder is more than likely filled with rust flakes. That means that the brake lines are too. Ditto the wheel cylinders. Been there, done that. Replace everything that would normally have brake fluid in it. That is the safest repair. The actuator itself probably needs nothing more than just a good drenching with PB Blaster. Good luck!

tpenfield

Staff member

Sounds like new cylinders (master and slaves) all around.

iBoats sell the Atwood surge brake coupler . . It is about $160.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

you can get a new master cylinder on-line for about $50. new wheel cylinders for about $20 each. new lines from your local FLAPS (Friendly Local Auto Parts Store).

as mentioned, replace everything. it sat, it rusted, its in need of replacment.

if it was in a northern climate with heat, was it heated all the time, probably not. the heating and cooling cycles creates a lot of condensation which causes rust. BTDT.