I think the transom saver on my boat is not needed

Jerry_NJ

Petty Officer 1st Class
Last fall I purchased a second hand (at least twice removed) circa 1995 Discovery 14' fishing boat. I had discussed this on this group of forums last fall when I was looking for a replacement for my 1985 Grumman ProFisherman 14' that was damaged by the storm named Sandy that struck NJ last October.

The Discovery came with a 9 9 HP Yamaha and the trailer has a transom saver. This boat had seen most of its use with a 25 HP engine, thus I conclude the need for the transom saver. I ran my Grumman with a 9.9 HP for 23 years without a transom saver - then too I never tow more than 30 miles.

Would I be correct that with an engine as light as a 2 cycle 9.9 HP engine the transom saver is not needed?

To tell the truth, i don't even know how to use one. I assume I just launch the boat and the transom save stays with the trailer. When I land the boat I raise the engine before I pull the boat to the front of the trailer, then lower the engine into position in the grip of the transom saver - if so, why not just leave it on?

Thanks

airshot

Rear Admiral
Re: I think the transom saver on my boat is not needed

I never used one on my 14' either and I had a rude 9.9. I did have smooth roads to travel on, but one thing I did was to put a strap on the lower unit and attatch it to the trailer, so the OB could not bounce up and down if I did encounter rough terrain. It is the bouncing up and down or back and forth, however your motor is positioned, that causes damage to the transom. Keep the motor from bouncing and you should have no problems.

most people use the transom saver to stop the motor flopping around or to stop the motor from breaking the tilt lock and dropping the skeg on the tarmac while towing.

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Tohatsu recommends them for as small as a 3.5 for the protection of the tilt lock.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

With my old 14' Lund it sat high enough on the trailer that I always towed with the engine down, didn't use a transon saver then.Never a problem. Now with my Alumacraft the boat sits much lower and there would be no way to try and tow with it down so I will now be using the one that came with the trailer.

BTW, the Lund had a 35hp Evinrude on it.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

My first choice would be to tow with the engine down as bonz suggested (and strapped tight so as not to bounce or flop).

If you must tow with it up, use the saver. I was so sure I didn't need one on mine and sure enough bent the locking tab after a couple of years. Now, that's with my porky 4-stroke 90 which weighs 390-something. Not one of my smarter choices I'm ashamed to admit...

Splat

Lieutenant

No tilt lock is designed to hold a motor while trailering.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

since nobody else explained, NO you do not leave it on the trailer when launching, you remove it and put it in your truck or car with your transom tie down straps until you have the boat loaded back up and then put it back on along with the transom straps for the trip home