Bow Stop Help *pics*

Goren

Cadet
My problem is when I trailer my boat I have to crank the hell out of it to pull it up over the eye and into a place where my transom is flush with my bunks. It had become obvious that the bow stop and winch are not setup correctly for my boat. So after reading a bunch of threads on here, I've learned the eye should be just below the bow stop, and the winch below it. I thought I could just swap the position of the winch and the bow stop, so I took the stop and the winch off the trailer. My problem is that the bow stop isn't short enough to put it up any higher because the bow angles in, and I can't seem to find any stop mounts that are any shorter. My tongue is already pretty short, so I can't really move the whole unit any further up the tongue. Any ideas? Am I just going to have to have someone fabricate something for me?

My best idea at this point is to just cut my bracket down a few inches, drill new holes, and mount the stop there.

KDMBYzs.jpg

1tR6zqu.jpg

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Bow Stop Help *pics*

Yeah that is not right... and glad that you know it too. It looks like the winch used to be bolted to the bracket and route under the stop. Try removing the winch and put the bracket up higher. Then see if the winch will fit onto the bracket. Oh and FYI, I would scoot the boat back a little or move winch post fwd, if you have room.... before hacking up the bracket. Goodluck!

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade

First I would get the boat sitting on the trailer so you have the correct tongue weight. Then figure out where the winch stand has to be. You might have to put on longer bunks and add weight to the trailer itself.

Goren

Cadet

How do I find the right tongue weight? The winch stand is already pretty close to the hitch. I don't think I can move it any further forward.

Goren

Cadet

That looks like it might work, but I'm not sure about the mounting of it. It looks like it's designed for a square bar, and I have a channel. It might not clamp on it right. I did a mock up of what it would look like if I trimmed down my current stop mount, and I think that will work too. I'd have to cut about 4" off it. Keep in mind I want my boat about 1.5" closer than it is actually sitting right now, so that eye will be right up a the stop.
swXYiwk.jpg

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Never seen one made from channel. If you or a buddy can weld you have a plan, otherwise it is going to be costly.

Goren

Cadet

Well it looked like modifying my current bracket would work, so I bit the bullet and tried it. It came out just fine. The winch is a little close, but it works. Here's how it turned out...
2dBSeQ9.jpg