Seen this trailer before?

Sergi

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Has someone seen this trailer before? When I bought it had Renken stickers that seemed factory to me, but I could be wrong. It was set-up for a +23ft boat. Now it's narower and shorter.

IMG_20130305_152957_zpsd2d75574.jpg

If anyone knows it, I would like to know about how good it's for launches.
It has three steel U shapes, articulated so it adapts to any hull without having to adjust anything. The 2 front ones are not directly mounted to the chassis but to another rocker so they uprise or downrise depending on the keel shape. It balances the weights so good that I can roll any wheel with the hand once the boat it's in (20ft searay.

I'm not so sure if I need that much self-adjusting vs the tremendous weight it has.

The fact it's that I found it so heavy and I'm thinking on modifying it for something lighter. I'm thinking on directly mount the keel rollers to the axle train and the small wheels directly to an inline balancing bars, like some modern roller trailers.

blackhawk180

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: See this trailer before?

It's hell for stout, that's for sure. Sounds like it's already been modified from stock? What are you planning on putting on it, length/weight wise? That would help determine how much you can safely remove.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

It looks very much like my older Caulkins trailer with the exception that my rear bogey has two sets of rollers and the front is a single "U"

With my trailer, launching is always easy but retrieving varies with the hull design. With my current 21 foot cuddy and a flat ride plate, the boat never wants to go on straight.

Sergi

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a Sea Ray 200 br, 2200lbs gross weight in specs, that I want to convert into a trailer queen. It will be way lighter, as I'm rebuilding it with composites.

A lot of launches are planned. It happens that I have a good variety of ramps nearby. Ones are good and of concrete, but hard to get to (middle of town) Others have a good step at the end.
The worse is that best ones aren't paved inside water. But are real good ones.
I'm concerned about that trailer sinking while letting the boat on.

The tow-car is a 2002 Jeep WJ with the 3.1 Turbo diesel.

Sergi

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Seen this trailer before?

It does not seem to me modified at all. All welds seem stock, and galvanizing the same.

I can assure you that I only could drag one of the U's when I dismantled it, never lift it. I'm not a He-man thou.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Re: Seen this trailer before?

I must say that is quite interesting, can't say I have ever saw anything like it. However I do like the idea in the design, I find it quite clever. Looks very heavyduty.

Airshot

Sergi

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I already user it on a launch the past weekend. It's awesome!!!.
Although someone incorrectly guided to sunk it in excess at launch, the recovery was incredible. I simply moved the boat by hand and it crawled the trailer. After that, the small winch was enough to get it at the final position.
I heavily recommend that configuration.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Have to agree with Frank on it being a Caulkins. If not it sure is a Caulkins design.

Sergi

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Do you (americans ;)) have a junkyard option on cable brakes for adding braking to such trailer?
I'm searching, but logically all drums I found are hydraulic actuated and cable only for one pad, for park braking.
Perhaps a replacement cylinder for conventional drums?

oldjeep

Admiral
Do you (americans ;)) have a junkyard option on cable brakes for adding braking to such trailer?
I'm searching, but logically all drums I found are hydraulic actuated and cable only for one pad, for park braking.
Perhaps a replacement cylinder for conventional drums?

Nothing I've ever heard of. Only cable parking brakes I've ever even seen are on old military trailers.