Super Tech Marine Grease Changing Color

mrmamiller

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Picked up my grease gun to lube my axle bearings and found that the grease coming out of the gun was a light tan color. Imagine my surprise. I thought maybe I had inadvertently put a different lube in the gun. Pulled the tube and it was light tan on the end that the grease comes out and the familiar blue-green on the opposite end. I know the color doesn't matter, but...if I had pulled my bearings first, I would have been mildly surprised, not to mention alarmed. Anybody else find this?

lrak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Super Tech Marine Grease Changing Color

The change happened at least two years ago. You don't use enough grease. :D

81_chapparel194

Petty Officer 1st Class

pump the tan out and use the rest of the green..and as mentioned above use the grease more often lol..

mrmamiller

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yeah, guess I need to use more grease. But, being lazy, I didn't repack the bearings the last 2 years because the seals weren't leaking grease and there was no sign of water entry into the hubs. So, just topped off the bearing buddies with a few short spurts. Other than that, a few spurts into the zerks on the outboards and that's it. Tube of old grease is gone.

Noticed that my new tubes of same brand grease have a different appearance and consistency. Thinking I like it way better than the several year old stuff. Thanks all.

Milemaker13

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Interesting. I just experienced this as well. I had a few tubes of super tech and i noticed the new tubes i bought say the color is blue. The older stuff is amber or tan. Neutral color I'd say.
Tubes say it is the same base type of grease. Does it master if this grease mixes? I could, and probably will, pump it out completely when i finally switch to the newer stuff. I'm just curious.

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

Interesting. I just experienced this as well. I had a few tubes of super tech and i noticed the new tubes i bought say the color is blue. The older stuff is amber or tan. Neutral color I'd say.
Tubes say it is the same base type of grease. Does it master if this grease mixes? I could, and probably will, pump it out completely when i finally switch to the newer stuff. I'm just curious.

As long as they are the same base there should be no issue mixing them. My guess is supertech (Walmart) found a cheaper supplier.