wheel bearing grease

MBAKER

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am in the middle of repacking bearings and trying to decide on what grease to use. I have read use a marine grease, and others just use a regular bearing grease if in freshwater. We are only in freshwater, and I have high temp brg grease I was going to use. I figure if I put on new seals and dust caps to keep out water then I dont see why this wouldnt work. Its not like the bearings themselves are running in water and you have to keep grease in them under water. Seems to me like if you get much water in them its not going to matter what grease you use it will be contaminated

I found some marine grease locally at oreillys, its kind of a light green color, just seems like it would thin out but maybe not. Says it is ok for trailer bearings but not high temp applications. I can use it, just seems like the high temp grease would be better in a bearing?

Any thoughts?

I also plan to use plain dust caps, maybe with a little sealer around them. I know many run the bearing buddy caps, but honestly thats what was on the trailer now, and havent had great luck with them. If the cap didnt fall off and throw oil everywhere, or the inside spring of the BB not stay seated and come apart inside the hub etc etc they might work. The hubs were not packed full with grease (bearing buddy style) and even with weak seals did not show much water contamination outside of the BB that came apart and it has been several seasons (if ever) since the hubs were opened. Seems like good seals and good caps woudl go a long way to keeping water out, along with letting them cool down a little before going in the water to keep from sucking anything in that way.

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer
Re: wheel bearing grease

I use volvo/evinrude/Johnson ep wheel bearing grease. I use that grease because it is the same grease called for in the gimbal. Marine grease tends to resist wash out better. In all cases we hope water doesn't get in there, but we use a grease that is better equipped to handle it if it does.

I used bearing buddies and never had huge seal issues. I had one fall off once. I have a different system now but it still allows me to add grease as needed.

In my opinion use marine wheel bearing grease.

Thundra

Seaman Apprentice

I get the 3-packs of the 3oz tubes of Green Grease from my local AutoZone. NGLI 2 with a drop point of 500F. I can use it for my wheel bearings and all the joints in the driveshaft of my truck as well as in the bushings in my snowmobile. One grease does it all.

MBAKER

Petty Officer 1st Class

So I have checked around a little

went walmart and looked at the Supertech grease,lithium complex base. would be easily available all the time, little sticky and fairly thick. Pretty typical to what a wheel bearing grease would look like

went to NAPA =, they have Sta-lube marine grease, aluminum complex base, seems really thick and firm in the tube. Where you can easily dig a finger into other greases this one seems to take a little more effort to get through it almost like it has a skin on it. Dont know if thats good or bad though or if it smooths out in the hub a little. Only concern would be if its too thick to flow back in to the bearing.

went to Oreilly, they have Masterpro Marine grease, cant find any specs or what type base it is. Seems really thin, and is a almost transparent green color. Doesnt seem like it would take much to thin this out, but should run through the bearing well I guess.

went to Northern tool and they had Mag1 marine grease. Seemed pretty similar to the supertech, lithium based. Not as common to find though.

Any thoughts on any of those....

gm280

Supreme Mariner

So I have checked around a little

went walmart and looked at the Supertech grease,lithium complex base. would be easily available all the time, little sticky and fairly thick. Pretty typical to what a wheel bearing grease would look like

went to NAPA =, they have Sta-lube marine grease, aluminum complex base, seems really thick and firm in the tube. Where you can easily dig a finger into other greases this one seems to take a little more effort to get through it almost like it has a skin on it. Dont know if thats good or bad though or if it smooths out in the hub a little. Only concern would be if its too thick to flow back in to the bearing.

went to Oreilly, they have Masterpro Marine grease, cant find any specs or what type base it is. Seems really thin, and is a almost transparent green color. Doesnt seem like it would take much to thin this out, but should run through the bearing well I guess.

went to Northern tool and they had Mag1 marine grease. Seemed pretty similar to the supertech, lithium based. Not as common to find though.

Any thoughts on any of those....

I think you forgot a few. What about Advance's Red Sticky grease...? :) While it doesn't say it is for boat trailers on the tube, it does show pictures of regular trailers, cars, trucks AND boat trailers as its useage. Seems everybody has their own grease but it is all probably coming from the same source or sources with different color dies added. The fact that you use any grease for a wheel bearing is good. And yearly maintenance is all you will have to worry about as well. Any grease will do the job if maintained yearly... To coin a statement one of the iboats has on his post, Any grease is better then no grease...AMEN! :cool:

bigdee

Commander

Compared to lithium soap greases complex aluminum greases have better water resistance and load resistance. That is what I prefer.

MBAKER

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know there are several other greases available. But as I read somewhere I took a little bit of each and rubbed in my fingers then added some water. The marine greases definitely seemed to hold up better, even compared to the red sticky greases that still said for marine use, but not labeled as marine.

Im kind leaning to the Stalube if the aluminum is better for water resistance. I have used lots of sta lube disc brake grease on other vehicles and never had trouble with it, but never tried the marine grease. It just was odd how thick the grease was in the tube. Kinda reminds me of lubrimatic grease and the color of it. Just doesnt seem as 'greasy' as some of the others.. if that makes any sense. more of a silly putty like texture not.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

P1100050.jpg

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

I don't know the answer. I do know what I decided and why I did it. None of the reputed marine grease had a drop point higher than 450f. All of them were pricey, a common attribute of anything with marine in the title. I went with $3.50 per pond high temp bearing grease at Wally World with a 500 drop point and a nice red color that I can recall.

With new grease seals and tight fitting caps I can't see how much water could enter; certainly no more than driving through a puddle on the road.

bigdee

Commander

I don't know the answer. I do know what I decided and why I did it. None of the reputed marine grease had a drop point higher than 450f. All of them were pricey, a common attribute of anything with marine in the title. I went with $3.50 per pond high temp bearing grease at Wally World with a 500 drop point and a nice red color that I can recall.

With new grease seals and tight fitting caps I can't see how much water could enter; certainly no more than driving through a puddle on the road.

Water resistance should be first priority......if temperature ever got to 500 degrees you would have more than a grease issue!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Where did you find that Bond-o grease? :laugh:

I order that stuff by the case, go through it like crazy. Great on bearings, joints, fittings and corn flakes:becky:

Heck, better than no grease!:thumb:

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I order that stuff by the case, go through it like crazy. Great on bearings, joints, fittings and corn flakes:becky:

Heck, better than no grease!:thumb:

I bet that makes those corn flake slide down without a scratch. You could probably swallow large bolts, nuts and washers that way too... Just make very sure it is water proof because they have to come out some day :lol:

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

Don't forget that not all greased are compatible. There is a chart out there that shows the different types of grease and the compatibility.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I use the marine grease from advance simply because its with in walking distance and its in stock, no problems after 10 k miles on this trailer, in fact have yet to find any reason to pull a hub but that's the advantage of Dexter hubs.

MBAKER

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does anybody have any negatives to the Sta Lube brand?

I guess Im surprised that if aluminum is supposed to be a better marine grease why are there so many lithium based greases available?

MBAKER

Petty Officer 1st Class

Does it make a difference at all that its in a hub? Meaning in theory a little water might get in but its still somewhat sealed no matter what. So maybe a lithium based grease works ok there. A

But in a case where the grease is used completely underwater like on pivot point on the outdrive, then an aluminum or calcium based greased is better because it does resist washout a little more.

bigdee

Commander

Does it make a difference at all that its in a hub? Meaning in theory a little water might get in but its still somewhat sealed no matter what. So maybe a lithium based grease works ok there. A

But in a case where the grease is used completely underwater like on pivot point on the outdrive, then an aluminum or calcium based greased is better because it does resist washout a little more.

Don't beat yourself up or get too obsessed over this. ANY grease would work but marine rated and aluminum complex greases have a marginal edge so let that be the decision factor.

MBAKER

Petty Officer 1st Class

I know... if I take the time to do it, I want to make sure Im useing as good of stuff as I can find locally.