Transom Saver.... yes / no

ddrieck

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Hey all,
I have always been an outboard guy and have used a transom saver on all my outboards. Having said that, I now have my first stern drive and would like to know if I should trailer it with a transom saver? Any thoughts??

boat1010

Re: Transom Saver.... yes / no

It might depend on how far you trailer your boat. There is a lot of weight on the hydraulics without support. and is pretty hard on the seals. I always use the transom savers just because if the hydraulics fail the stern drive will hit the pavement and I will never know it until I get home.

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use clips on the hydraulics to make sure the drive doesn?t fall to the ground. I don?t buy the stress from running down the road on a trailer. It is built to handle its weight and horse power. There is a lot more transom stress when you are loaded with people and you trim up and down on the go.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

While I have to agree with both "boat1010" and "jbetzelb" to some extent, I have different feelings as well. jbetzelb is correct in that the hydraulics do take a more punishing role on the water and boat1010 is also correct about seals failing and the stern drive will flop around if that does happen. But my opinion (that's OPINION) is that every part manufactured is only going to last for X number of time, and usage, so why not save that usage and protect the equipment with a transom saver. Even the transom itself is only going to take X number of stress surges before something starts deteriorate leading to failure. So I say go for the transom saver and let everything last a little longer...

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

I always use the transom savers just because if the hydraulics fail the stern drive will hit the pavement and I will never know it until I get home.

I find that hard to believe. The sparks and noise should alert you. :)

Just joking.

ddrieck

thank you all for the input!! I do think I will go ahead and trailer with a transom saver in place. I normally travel around 75 miles to get to our favorite lake and lot could happen during that drive..... such as blowing a hydraulic hose. One more than likely would hear the lower unit draggin on the pavement but if it does..... by the time you pull over the damage is done!!!!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

On an I?O just get the trailer clips... they will stop the motor from falling to the road and are MUCH easier to deal with than a transom saver which has no place on an I/O

As for stress going down the road... no way... with a transom being generally about 2" thick plywood and fiberglass and the outdrive being light enough for me to tilt with one hand when the cylinders are removed.... You could race the Baja 1000 towing the boat and not hurt the transom

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner

On an outboard I don't use one if I have PTT for 2 reasons: The engine helps to counter balance the weight of the LU and I can see the engine from the rear view mirror.

On an I/O I have neither and for me a TS is absolutely essential.

Mark