I got me a new tow rig!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I have a hitch and tail light converter on the way.... Think I can tow my Monte Carlo.... I'm sure in Europe they would! :facepalm:

J/K I plan to pull a jetski or two with it.... MAYBE an atv on a super light trailer.

Will post up pics of hitch install and wiring.
055.jpg056.jpg

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: I got me a new tow rig!

my 95 325i vert got hit head on a couple months ago by a teenage girl. Nobody was hurt but the car was totaled.

I finally settled with her ins and picked this 2001 330i up a few days later.... gonna make a little great ski puller... PLUS it proves to the naysayers that I don't think EVERYTHING needs to pulled by a dually!

For it's size it's not a terrible towpig. It has plenty of power, 3.38:1 final drive (ZHP) and GREAT brakes.

tpenfield

Staff member

Nice . . . what year is it?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

If I am looking at the tow charts right it should be in the 4800 lb range and that should be plenty for a lot of things.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Thanks, its a 2001 330i

The receivers available for it in the USA are rated for 2000 lbs and bolt through the sheet metal of the spare tire well. The american cars are not rated to tow anything and european cars are rated for (roughly converted from metric) 1500 lbs w/o trailer brakes and 3750 with but a max tongue weight of 165 lbs....The european hitches integrate into the structure of the car far better than our aftermarket ones. Obtaining the european hitch here in the states is quite costly and they use a different metric ball that can't be swapped out and also have no provision for safety chains....
I'm iffy on whether I'd even tow 2000 lbs with it but for 1000-1500 I think it'll do great.

oldjeep

Admiral

Do they even rate convertibles to tow?

agallant80

Commander

I think its funny how every time I go to Europe most of the cars have a hitch on them. You will see a Fiot with a hitch. Over in America I always think its funny when I see the F350 at the ramp with a 17 foot boat in tow.....

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

The BMW's and other brands of luxury vehicles are very, very strong in structure. The big problem is with the independent rear suspension having limited strength. No unit with CV joints on the back end will meet the strength of a live axle with solid steel axles.

That said, you're okay to pull a single jet ski on a lightweight trailer. Or, pull an ATV on a light trailer. You'd be okay to pull a light aluminum boat.

Otherwise, get yourself a pickup truck to haul all your junk.

Quit It

Petty Officer 1st Class

Nice looking car, I miss my droptops :(

... Over in America I always think its funny when I see the F350 at the ramp with a 17 foot boat in tow.....
Well, what does he tow during the week? Or, what's his other boat? ;)

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Sooooo the hitch and harness arrived today... It'll likely be this weekend or next week before I get em mounted up but I'll snap a few pics as I go to feed the masses ;)
Otherwise, get yourself a pickup truck to haul all your junk.

LOL what sort of pickup do you think I should get? :laugh:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I had some spare time this evening so I went ahead and installed the hitch.
I ran out of light for finished pics but will take a couple and add em when I do the light harness.

Each hole was painted after drilling and once dry was ringed with 5200 inside and out..... sure wish I could have found 4200 as it's not nearly so runny but all worked out ok... I'll paint over the 5200 that oozed out once everything is dry... Will also be cutting off the excess on the two rear lower bolts under the car and then painting the hardware black to make it less visible.

as you can see I got the euro style ball mount... just thought it looked better plus I'll never be towing anything that doesn't have a 1 7/8" ball so no need to swap em
IMG_0599.jpgIMG_0598.jpgIMG_0600.jpg

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I pulled a single jetski trailer into Kentucky to haul a set of tires home for the car... already saved about $5 in gas with it.
IMG_0602.jpg

Tnstratofam

Commander
Nice I love the old jap bikes. I've got a 1980 Kz750 the same color maroon as that Zuki. Although I do pull mine with an F-150.:D I think if people from Europe came over here to the states, and saw how we use trucks to tow almost everything they would laugh.:pound: Although when I went to Germany years ago I thought they were nuts to tow there caravans with cars.:eek:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
thanks!... it's a 78 gs-1000
Had the cruise set at 78 and couldn't tell it was back there.

Planning at some point to drag my little jetboat down to florida with the lil beemer...

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
if ur talking about the trailer... I had a front bumper of a 78 motorhome.... 3/16 steel channel... I drilled holes and attached it to the trailer frame with square u bolts and sections of rubber hose as isolators..... then the bike tires were set into the channel and strapped in place along with all the other straps you see in the pic.

Captain Ollie West

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think its funny how every time I go to Europe most of the cars have a hitch on them. You will see a Fiot with a hitch. Over in America I always think its funny when I see the F350 at the ramp with a 17 foot boat in tow.....
Hey I represent that statement :D (Actually now I tow a 27 footer) You can never have too much truck!