Looking for sway controller for trailer with surge brakes

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class
I would like to install a sway control on my trailer, but have surge brakes. All of the sway controllers I have found say not to be used with surge brakes. Does anyone know of a sway controller I can use?

Glenn

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Re: Looking for sway controller for trailer with surge brakes

It isn't exactly the question you asked BUT what is the total weight of your trailer and what is the tongue weight... the biggest reason for someone needing a sway controller is too little tongue weight... followed by a high light weight trailer in windy conditions......

USUALLY a properly set up boat trailer doesn't sway tho possibly with a toon in "high country" maybe you are in that second group.....

UncleWillie

Captain

Do you NEED Sway Control because you are swaying?
Or do you WANT Sway Control because you never want to experience it?

There is no reason to have a sway problem with a properly loaded trailer.
Every trailer will sway when the critical speed is exceeded.
That speed is normally well above what you will ever experience. (>100mph)

No Mechanical Sway Controller can be used with surge brakes.
Mechanical Sway Controllers operate by stopping the truck and trailer from moving relative to each other.
Surge brakes operate by sliding back and forth.
The sway controller wound prevent the brakes from working.

There are some high end aftermarket, and Vehicle Integrated Electrical Sway Controllers that apply the trailer brakes electrically.
Adding "Electric Over Hydraulic" control would allow this type of sway control to work.

Actually going to "Electric Over Hydraulic" would allow the Mechanical Sway Control to work also.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

It is possible to have a sway control with surge brakes but you have to have a piece welded onto the coupler area in front of the surge brake unit that extends rearward. I used to have it on a trailer I owned a long time ago. The problem is that is puts a lot of stress on that one small section of coupler.

I use one now with my electric/hydraulic brakes.

Water logged

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for your comments, I will have to check the numbers on the weights.

Glenn

BobGinCO

Chief Petty Officer

If that "metal sail" is swaying, it probably IS a case of "too light tongue weight".

The idiots who sold me my boat, just hooked the boat - on the trailer - to my truck. I commenced to drive 1,100 miles with basically ZERO tongue weight. You would expect the marine dealership to get it right. It was squirrely as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs.