Problem getting hydraulic surge brakes to work!

ArkansasTim

Cadet
Hi everybody,
I have a dual axle trailer with hydraulic drum brakes on the back wheels. The previous owner disconnected the actuator. I don't know if he disconnected because they don't work or because he didn't want them, but anyways I am trying to hook them back up and see if I can get them working.

I removed the plug on the actuator and started trying to pump the coupler to see if brake fluid came out and it does, but I am only able to push the coupler back about half way. It seems like this bolt and nut in the picture is too tight to allow the coupler to fully compress. I removed the outer nut and attempted to unscrew the nut and it spins, but it doesn't come off. I am holding the bolt end with a wrench and unscrewing the nut and it spins but won't come off or loosen. Is it supposed to do this or is stripped? How tight is this supposed to be?

Also, the rubber boot type thing in the actuator that you can see from the bottom is all torn up. Do I need to replace this or is it fine if it is ripped? Any other help or advice you can give me on getting these brakes working would be great! Thanks!image (37).jpgimage (38).jpgimage (39).jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Problem getting hydraulic surge brakes to work!

Hi everybody,
I have a dual axle trailer with hydraulic drum brakes on the back wheels. The previous owner disconnected the actuator. I don't know if he disconnected because they don't work or because he didn't want them, but anyways I am trying to hook them back up and see if I can get them working.

I removed the plug on the actuator and started trying to pump the coupler to see if brake fluid came out and it does, but I am only able to push the coupler back about half way. It seems like this bolt and nut in the picture is too tight to allow the coupler to fully compress. I removed the outer nut and attempted to unscrew the nut and it spins, but it doesn't come off. I am holding the bolt end with a wrench and unscrewing the nut and it spins but won't come off or loosen. Is it supposed to do this or is stripped? How tight is this supposed to be?

Also, the rubber boot type thing in the actuator that you can see from the bottom is all torn up. Do I need to replace this or is it fine if it is ripped? Any other help or advice you can give me on getting these brakes working would be great! Thanks!

Ayuh,.... It could be stripped, but it Is double-nutted,...

Ya need to take the outer most nut off 1st, then in inner...

If the bellows is ripped, I'd guess it's startin' to Rust, 'n will Rust more if not fixed...

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: Problem getting hydraulic surge brakes to work!

What make and model Actuator is it?
The actuator slides Front to Rear about an inch usually.
The slots in the picture look like they go up and down!

A side view of the actuator would help.
Your fluid looks rusty! It should be perfectly clear.
Bake systems need to be Surgically Clean internally.