Safety Strap/Chain Question

Lurch77

Petty Officer 2nd Class
We bought a new boat and trailer. The picture here shows the winch and safety strap setup from the factory. The safety strap and winch strap utilize a common hook at the boat end. This setup I have is marginally more convenient, but is it as safe as it should be? It wouldn't be but a couple minutes to change this over to a chain with its own hook. Or am I just being paranoid?

2013-04-13 15.01.31.jpg

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Safety Strap/Chain Question

In an emergency stop or worse, a collision, the boat would take the winch stand off and possibly end up in the bed of your truck.

Arrange a chain and turnbuckle from the boat eye to the trailer frame.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

The winch and safety strap are one and the same. To me that's pure irresponsibility on the part of the manufactuer, or the selling dealer. They made you think you were safe!

No, you're not paranoid.....good call.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I like what is there BUT it isn't enough... I'd say keep the current system and as mentioned above also add to it... personally I often use two ratchet straps at the front.. one angled forward and another angled to the rear

frantically relaxing

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What's wrong with it? It's the same type of strap everyone trusts to tie down the backs of their boats with.

If the main strap breaks and the boat starts sliding back, THAT strap will keep the boat on the trailer. That's all it's intended to do.

And to my knowledge, dealers aren't required to put safety straps or chains on trailers at all (other than a hitch chain). None that I know of around here do it. That's an owner-preference thing.

littlerayray

Lieutenant

i have the same setup as the op and it is fine as long as you use them in conjunction with the transom straps the only thing they have in common is the bow eye hook
just remember to hook it up the same way.

Lurch77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies so far. I like the idea of keeping it and adding another down to the frame of the trailer. We will be using a couple transom straps as well, the trailer is designed to have one come down from each pontoon.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Well it is okay UNLESS the single hook breaks. Then forget either strap doing anything. I'd install another safety chain with its' own hook as well. Then both have to break to make them useless. It ups your odds/chances of safety level two fold and the actual possibilities or probabilities of both breaking at the same time goes through the roof in reality... JMHO!

littlerayray

Lieutenant

i inspect my straps and hooks before leaving everytime i would just keep an eye out for wear
it is designed to hold your boat or it wouldnt be on there
and unless your an engineer saying it wont
i would disregard the ney sayers
it is engineered to hold with transom straps
just do the regular inspections for wear

gm280

Supreme Mariner

i inspect my straps and hooks before leaving everytime i would just keep an eye out for wear
it is designed to hold your boat or it wouldnt be on there
and unless your an engineer saying it wont
i would disregard the ney sayers
it is engineered to hold with transom straps
just do the regular inspections for wear

Of course it will work. Not one person stated it won't work. All folks are saying is there are better setups to guard against failures as well. It is his boat. He can do nothing or anything he wants... I think folks just gave their opinions exactly like the OP asked for... :watermelon:

littlerayray

Lieutenant

Of course it will work. Not one person stated it won't work. All folks are saying is there are better setups to guard against failures as well. It is his boat. He can do nothing or anything he wants... I think folks just gave their opinions exactly like the OP asked for... :watermelon:

sorry i worded it wrong didnt me to offend or be so harsh

WIMUSKY

Staff member

And to my knowledge, dealers aren't required to put safety straps or chains on trailers at all (other than a hitch chain). None that I know of around here do it. That's an owner-preference thing.

I haven't bought a new trailer that didn't have a safety chain.......

Well it is okay UNLESS the single hook breaks. Then forget either strap doing anything. I'd install another safety chain with its' own hook as well. Then both have to break to make them useless. It ups your odds/chances of safety level two fold and the actual possibilities or probabilities of both breaking at the same time goes through the roof in reality... JMHO!

I agree. If it was my rig, I would feel much better if it had a separate safety chain........

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

What's wrong with it? It's the same type of strap everyone trusts to tie down the backs of their boats with.

If the main strap breaks and the boat starts sliding back, THAT strap will keep the boat on the trailer. That's all it's intended to do.

From the pic it looked like it was a single strap, tied in the middle. If indeed there are 2 separate straps there, each fastened separately, then I stand corrected.

Where I live, transom tie downs are required by state law. Last time I read the regs, the majority of the states had the same requirement. If a dealer lets a boat go out of the yard without them then he is part of the problem. Regardless, I think most will agree that tie-downs are a necessity, not an owner preference. It's just common sense? Dealers that send newbies out without even the most basic training are simply irresponsible IMHO.

The last boat I bought came with a 3-page checklist, printed on the boat company's letterhead, and the selling salesman was required to go thru each step and check off that it was discussed with the owner.

CentralOregonBum

Seaman Apprentice

Complacency is a killer, just because people have gotten away with it and use to one way doesn't mean it can't be better. Take the extra safety precausion. Some dude got hit by a car and died just walking in the wal mart parking lot the other day...stupid things happen ...you are not being paranoid.

Lurch77

Petty Officer 2nd Class

From the pic it looked like it was a single strap, tied in the middle. If indeed there are 2 separate straps there, each fastened separately, then I stand corrected.

Yeah, the first picture does not show the hook end very well. The winch strap and the safety strap are completely separate from one another. The only thing the two straps have in common is the hook on the boat end. Here is a better shot.

2013-04-14 14.34.45.jpg

frantically relaxing

As for my remark about dealers not required to put safety chains or straps on trailers, I meant up on the bow only.

And for the record, transom straps, like chains, are only as strong as their weakest link. And while the straps themselves are generally plenty strong, not so the threads that sew the ends together. I broke this strap by simply putting our 17' Bayliner in reverse after forgetting to remove the straps. I gave it just enough gas to go "oh $#** I forgot the straps!" and when I pulled out, this is what I found.

strap1.JPG

I use 'em, but I don't trust 'em.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

As for my remark about dealers not required to put safety chains or straps on trailers, I meant up on the bow only.

And for the record, transom straps, like chains, are only as strong as their weakest link. And while the straps themselves are generally plenty strong, not so the threads that sew the ends together. I broke this strap by simply putting our 17' Bayliner in reverse after forgetting to remove the straps. I gave it just enough gas to go "oh $#** I forgot the straps!" and when I pulled out, this is what I found.

strap1.JPG

I use 'em, but I don't trust 'em.

I can never find one that suits me lengthwise. That's why I cut them off and re-sew them to my custom length. No extra strap to bother with. I guarandamtee you my wife's sewing will hold up to anything!!!

Next thing is that the straps should never be subject to UV. That'll kill the thread for sure. The only time mine see the sun is on the highway between the house and the ramp.

My only boating mishap was on the road, while stopped at a signal. A guy hit me on the port side of the transom, just next to the outdrive, at 30 mph. Thye force was enough to snap the trailer in half and pull the bow eye right thru the stem. The bow went careening across the trunk of my car and landed 2 lanes over. The hull and the back half of the trailer stayed together. The transom never moved off of the last keel roller. The transom tie downs kept it right where it was supposed to be. Other than slightly straightening out the S-hooks, the transom tie downs were undamaged. (when I replaced them I was sure to buy the same brand.....LOL)

colbyt

Master Chief Petty Officer

Jim, that had to suck big time. I can't even begin to feel what you must have felt at the time.

frantically relaxing

I was waiting for someone to tell their story about their bow eye getting yanked out. Can't even trust chains if what they're tied to just come off.

Straps & chains are meant for minor mishaps at best. If you really want your boat to NOT separate from the trailer, the only way I can think of is to get some trucker's load straps, wrap 'em around the boat and under the trailer and cinch 'em up hard.