Replacing disc brake calipers, do kodiak interchange with tie down???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whitey72

Seaman Apprentice
Hello All from Australia,
I bought a 2006 Tahoe Q4 on the standard tracker trailer last year. Anyway, I just had some trouble with the brakes on my last fishing trip where both calipers stuck on me and I nearly cooked the hubs coming back from the ramp. Before the trip all the brake lines were changed with new flexible lines installed and master cylinder checked. One caliper was lovely and free but one was a bit sticky but I freed it up but ran out of time to do a total overhaul on them.

On the trip when I nearly cooked them, I checked both and they were both seized on. I let the pressure go from the bleeding nipple and both came free. I then thought it was the master cylinder playing up and a new one was purchased and replaced. The system was again all bled but both calipers were again stuck on and wouldn't release until a bit of a knock with the hammer when releasing the pressure.

So now I have all brand new from master cylinder through new lines to the old calipers and I want to replace them to have a completely new system. Believe it or not I can source a new set of dacromet coated hubs and mounts, and full stainless Kodiak calipers with bearings and seals including shipping from the States for 2/3 of the price here for just the calipers!

Right to the questions, I just want some advice as to interchanging brands of calipers as Australian stuff is all different sizes and won't fit. On the rear of my old calipers is "Tie Down Engineering 46304". The centers between the 4 mounting bolts to the axle is approx 2.83" (72mm) and the centers between the 2 bolts to mount the calipers to the mount is 5.74" (146mm). My hub and rotor are a complete unit which is 10" diameter with 1 3/8" inner and 1 1/16" outer for bearings, and the distance between the inside side of both bearings is 2.07" (52mm). Again we don't use these axles down here so I also just want to check if a replacement 10" hub /rotor with 5 bolts are all standard and will fit my measurements above (I think it's what is called 3500lb set? and from photos they look the same).

Now can anybody confirm if a set of stainless Kodiak calipers (part number DBC-225-SS) will interchange with the Tie Down set I currently have fitted? Will the hub /rotor set fit straight onto my axle? The kit I'm looking at buying is on ebay (item number 190768856806) if anybody needs to look but my hub/rotor looks the same and the mounts look pretty much the same as well. I just want to be sure before I buy as it's a long way and a big stuff around to send back if they don't fit.

Any help or advice is eagerly accepted and is greatly appreciated. Sorry to be long winded but I thought I'd put in all the info I can.
Cheers Whitey

Whitey72

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Replacing disc brake calipers, do kodiak interchange with tie down???

IMG_0898 (Medium).jpgIMG_0899 (Medium).jpgIMG_0900 (Medium).JPGIMG_0901 (Medium).JPG

Here's some photos of axle, caliper and hubs.
Cheers
Whitey

_vn_

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hi, did you ever replace your tiedowns with kodiak breaks? thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.