Bunk vs roller - retractable keel roller?

NoVolGator

Recruit
Has anyone heard of a retractable keel roller? I have a very old 1950 14 ft

Orlando Clipper aluminum v-hull. The original trailer looks like a custom job of

pipe frame and fitted cross member cradle style front and rear bunk and keel

rollers at center and aft. The custom rear roller is retractable allowing me to

raise it via a shaft to the side bar tiedowns on each side of the boat. With the

external tiedown bars raised the roller was down so the boat weight is carried on

the aft end cradle. Throwing the side bars forward raise the roller for

loading/launching. The system makes a great hybrid bunk/roller trailer. It seems

to me that retractable rollers on a bunk trailer would offer the best of both.

I've not seen anything like mine.

Attachments

• Retractable keel roller.pdf
    17.3 KB · Views: 1

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Bunk vs roller - retractable keel roller?

Has anyone heard of a retractable keel roller? I have a very old 1950 14 ft

Orlando Clipper aluminum v-hull. The original trailer looks like a custom job of

pipe frame and fitted cross member cradle style front and rear bunk and keel

rollers at center and aft. The custom rear roller is retractable allowing me to

raise it via a shaft to the side bar tiedowns on each side of the boat. With the

external tiedown bars raised the roller was down so the boat weight is carried on

the aft end cradle. Throwing the side bars forward raise the roller for

loading/launching. The system makes a great hybrid bunk/roller trailer. It seems

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Probably because it's overly complicated for the tiny benefit that results....

Overly complicated equals a higher cost, 'n Nobody likes to spend their money for little return....

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I've seen a fairly new shiny bass boat on a dual roller/bunk trailer, somewhat like you describe. His has a set of rollers on an articulated frame that raises up with a second winch. I'd imagine its fairly handy for shallow water activities, but you still get the added safety/support of a bunk trailer. No idea of the mfg but it wasn't a custom job.

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

... It seems

I've used some small boat trailers in the past where you would pull a lever on the side of the trailer and several rollers would "lift" the boat off the bunks for shallow-water launches.

How about rollers on front, bunks on the rear? Bunks carry bulk of the weight and help keep boat in place until launch. Upon launch, the transom floats up off the bunks and the rollers allow the bow to slide back into the water. See pic...

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 2