How to setup my roller/bunk trailer?

BonairII

Commander
I'm about to swap trailers and put my boat on a roller/bunk trailer....and need advice on where to locate the bunks.

This is the trailer(the boat shown is being sold) that I'm going to put my boat on

5BFA2186-963D-4C06-A474-F2180098F99D-2480-000001983C27DF86_zps03eb317a.jpg

This is my boat on its current trailer. This trailer being sold
DF60AAA6-6380-4189-9CCE-8FEF24C0B85B-2480-000001A5307C6BE0_zps8d34aa82.jpg

Where's the best place to locate the bunk boards on my hull?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: How to setup my roller/bunk trailer?

Make sure the bunks are high enough that they are carrying the load and not the keel rollers. The keel rollers are there just to keep the boat from striking the cross members during loading/launch.

BonairII

Commander

A couple inches from the outer edge should be good. Those look a little further inward than I'd like.

This is mine http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/New Boat/DSCF2352.jpg
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/New Boat/DSCF2727-1.jpg

You want it set up height-wise so that the bunks are holding the majority of the weight. The rollers are more for centering when loading (and keeping you from banging the crossmembers)

Yeah...the current trailer with the roller-style bunks isn't setup well. Not to mention, that most of the little bunk rollers are old and need replacement.

The new(to me) wood bunks will work much better for me.

My boat is a tad shorter than this one mind you.

D26E60AC-A233-45D2-A14F-50B317902E3A-756-00000066BCB00105_zps5d6e4d64.jpg

...but should I extend(replace) the current wood bunks to make sure they reach the transom? Or is it not necessary on an aluminum boat?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Right with EZ. If the bunks don't reach and support the transom, the chances of cupping (hooking) the hull when banging bumps in the road increase.

BonairII

Commander

What would be the best method to setup the bunks so they are holding a decent percentage of the weight of the boat?

If I rest the keel on the rollers THEN push the bunks up to the hull and then tighten them down....the keel rollers will end up holding the lions share of the weight.

Should I raise the keel rollers.....THEN lower boat onto the rollers...THEN raise the bunks to the hull....THEN lower the keel rollers a bit?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Get everything pretty snug and even, then raise the boat up off the keep rollers with a jack and some lumber, and raise the bunk brackets a notch or two.

GA_Boater

From a thread here some place I remember the following:

Level the keel rollers. Drop the center rollers down and use some string between the front and rear rollers. Adjust the front/rear until the string is level. Raise the center rollers to the string.

Lower the bunks and put the boat on the trailer. Use some blocking to level the boat from side to side.

Raise the bunks 1/2 inch after they contact the hull.

Make sure everything is tightened.

If I remember, whoever asked the question was satisfied with the result.

BonairII

Commander

How would I raise the bunks an additional 1/2" if they are already contacting the hull?

GA_Boater

I used a floor jack. The reason for the 1/2" is to lift the keel off the rollers and support the hull when the boat is completely on the trailer. But the rollers still guide and keep the boat off the cross members.

EDIT - This minimizes the weight on the rollers.

BonairII

Commander

I def understood WHY is should raise the bunks another 1/2".....just wasn't sure HOW I was going to raise them(and the boat) a 1/2".

GA_Boater

5BFA2186-963D-4C06-A474-F2180098F99D-2480-000001983C27DF86_zps03eb317a.jpg

Where's the best place to locate the bunk boards on my hull?

I just loosened the bunk supports and raised them until the contacted the evenly, front to rear. I put a line on the support 1/2" down on all four of the supports and then put the jack under the support below the cross member and lifted one at a time until my mark was even with the frame. You have plenty of room for a jack in the pic above. Also angle the bunks toward the keel. The right bunk above is really messed up, position-wise.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

My suggestion. Add 2 more bunks and just take the rollers off like many of the new trailers do it. Then you needn't worry about if you have the rollers set right.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Ugggghhh he says, shaking his head as he reads thru the answers. The old trailer setup and use books that I bought back in the 1960's must have been all wrong!

The centerline rollers are there to support the keel (the strongest part of the hull {unless there is something wrong with the boat}), and make loading and launching an absolute breeze. The bunks are there to support the hull so it doesn't tip over.

Line up the keel rollers straight, set the boat in place and then level it. Position the bunks outboard as far as they will go. Finally, raise the bunks till they contact the hull, and then a little bit more so they are firm against it. As the boat is launched the hull will make less and less contact with the bunks and she'll glide off nicely.

BTW, your "new" trailer looks like it needs a little work (at least from the pics). Maybe roller replacements are in order.

BonairII

Commander

Actually, the rollers are in great shape....the rollers on my current trailer are the ones that are pretty beat up. After looking both trailers over...I've decided to keep my current trailer because it's sturdier and longer.

I'm going to steal the bunks and keel rollers from the new trailer...and put my bunk rollers and keel rollers from my current trailer on the "new" trailer.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Ugggghhh he says, shaking his head as he reads thru the answers. The old trailer setup and use books that I bought back in the 1960's must have been all wrong!

The centerline rollers are there to support the keel (the strongest part of the hull {unless there is something wrong with the boat}), and make loading and launching an absolute breeze. The bunks are there to support the hull so it doesn't tip over.

Here we go again :facepalm: