trailer tire replacement

robert graham

Admiral
We pull the boat 1000 miles of interstate several times per year, tires are Carlisle 205/75 14", and after some tread separations and blow-outs several years ago I had decided to replace them every 3 years....well it's been 3 years this month and the tires look fine and I'm thinking maybe squeeze another year out of them before buying new ones?....what do you guys think or do regarding routine replacement of your trailer tires?....just looking for opinions and experience. Thanks!

emilsr

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: trailer tire replacement

I run mine 4-5 years (based on having blowouts with 7 and 8 year old tires). You probably have another year with them if there's no cracking or soft spots.

Am replacing this year; have the same size tire as you and found that Kumho makes one in that size that's a full load range D tire (just FYI).

oldjeep

Admiral

I run mine until they look bad or blow. All the blowouts I've had have been from foreign objects. On the boat trailers they seem to last 6 years or so. Nice thing about being up here in MN is we don't really see the type of weather caused rubber deterioration that you see down south so your mileage may vary.

UncleWillie

Captain

Keep the spare handy and make sure all three are FULLY inflated to max pressure.
Foreign objects and under inflation are tire killers.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The DOT recommends replacing tires 6 years from date of manufacture. Not 6 years on your trailer. I change mine at 6 years or whenever I see the tires showing signs of age or damage.

I run 5-6K a year for the past 17 years and have only lost one tire and that was my fault. I cut the corner and took the side wall out on a curb.

FWIW: I just changed the Goodyear Marathons tires on the horse trailer that where OEM 1994.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The DOT recommends replacing tires 6 years from date of manufacture. Not 6 years on your trailer. I change mine at 6 years or whenever I see the tires showing signs of age or damage.

Very valid advice. I bought a new pontoon trailer in 2008 and noticed both tires had some checking in the tread grooves and some on the sidewalls. I checked the date code and the tires were already 4 years old. They were replaced free (with one year old tires).

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Year before last, my 5 year old trailer tires failed. 3 out of 4 started having tread separations.

robert graham

Admiral

Well, sounds like I might get at least one more good year out of these...I hate to be stupid or over-cautious about this, but those @#$% blow-outs on the interstate really made an impression on me!!! I appreciate your thoughts and ideas on this!:)

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I got for the 4 to 5 range or when I see checking. Yea one blow out makes a real believer out of you, I cant get over the guys who never grease a hub and are surprised when it fails. A tire aint nothing.

Several years ago a friend called me up and asked if I could make a 60 mile drive to his place and tow his boat to a slip that's close by me. Knowing my friends idea of maintenance was fix it when it breaks I told him sure I would be glad to with the understanding that if a tire blew or a hub went out I would drop the trailer and boat exactly where it failed. A week later when I showed up he was just finishing up packing the bearings and I could see new tires all the way around. The tow went just fine.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

^^^ thats funny right there. I decided to remove my wheels and tires at 4 years old and sell them on craigslist. That money more than paid for my new wheels... and i was going to buy the tires anyways.

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

but those @#$% blow-outs on the interstate really made an impression on me!

Apparently not that big an impression if you're gonna ignore your gut feeling about replacing ... :rolleyes:

Sod Farmer

Cadet

Most people would agree that trailer tire problems are much more prevalent than car or truck tire problems. Besides the fact that they are all made in China, the real reasons for problems is usually us. Here is the typical scenario where a trailer tire fails. A guy goes to pick up his boat that he put in storage the fall before. On his way home, a tire blows and he is of course MAD at the tire. The problem is that he had not checked the tire pressure since last spring when he started the season and the tires were low on air pressure. He also was on the interstate driving 75 mph. Trailer tires are only rated for 65 mph. His trailer was 3 to 6 years old but his tires were already 2 years old when the trailer was brand new. The boat dealer that sold him his boat/trailer combo put the smallest trailer possible under the boat to make the price more attractive. When the boat owner got the boat and got all of his gear on board, the trailer was at or slightly over its maximum load limit. So when the boat owner picked up his boat to take it home after winter storage, he was driving to fast (75 mph) on under-inflated tires that were past their useable life and carrying more weight than they are recommended to carry. Is there really a mystery as to why trailer tires have so many problems?

robert graham

Admiral

but those @#$% blow-outs on the interstate really made an impression on me!

Apparently not that big an impression if you're gonna ignore your gut feeling about replacing ... :rolleyes:
Well, I might get a forth year out of these tires, but when it gets time to head for Florida I'm probably going to just replace them, just to be on the safe side for $200 worth of tires!

If they are indeed still in good condition, then I would likely use them again. That said, you are the only person on this forum who has actually seen the tires so your judgement is key. Safety is worth every penny.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

ah heck, get the most use you can out of them before you get rid of those tires!!!! if they dont look like this:
2m26kg2.jpg

THEN YOU DIDNT RUN THEM LONG ENOUGH!

but i advise to turn your radio down so you can tell the difference between a salsa beat on the stereo and a flat tire on the trailer

bob

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer

It's less tricky if you have to replace the tire and rim (cost). Just buy new before your trip and move the take offs to spares.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral

It's less tricky if you have to replace the tire and rim (cost). Just buy new before your trip and move the take offs to spares.

they dont sell 15" rims here, too bad, because I think they make the best trailer tire... they roll over potholes and debris easier, plus the larger the tire the easier it is to get up and over those drop offs at the end of bad boat ramps!!

I bought galvanized 15" rims with 205/75-15's for about $100 each last summer...they are load rated C and can hold 1800 lbs

bob

jspriddy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Most people would agree that trailer tire problems are much more prevalent than car or truck tire problems. Besides the fact that they are all made in China, the real reasons for problems is usually us. Here is the typical scenario where a trailer tire fails. A guy goes to pick up his boat that he put in storage the fall before. On his way home, a tire blows and he is of course MAD at the tire. The problem is that he had not checked the tire pressure since last spring when he started the season and the tires were low on air pressure...on under-inflated tires that were past their usable life and carrying more weight than they are recommended to carry. Is there really a mystery as to why trailer tires have so many problems?

I agree 100%. I'm a tire dealer and alignment problems notwithstanding, most tires fail due to failure to maintain proper inflation pressure. I actually had a grown man tell me he didn't know you had to "put air in them". A lot of people are too lazy or just too stupid to check their tires.

John

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Kumho makes a 14" trailer tire that is load range D-rated and can be inflated to 65 PSI. I plan to use them on my next trailer tire change. I expect them to last longer and pull easier than the load range C-rated Marathons I currently run. Might be worth a look of you only get three seasons out of your current tire choice.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

Okay folks I've read all these comments on trailer tires and when to change them. Now I have a great question and I am NOT trying to stir the pot either. I had a trailer that I changed over from 12" four bolt rims to 13" standard five bolt rims for two reasons. First, as stated previously the large diameter will allow the tire/wheel/bearings to rotate at a lower rate thereby helping to keep the bearing wear/heat down a little. Secondly, I can get 13" tires at more places than 12" setups. Now my big question to open this up to I'm sure much debate. Why can't you install regular car tires on a trailer? Car tires will take the weight and are speed rated to better specs than trailer tires. I mean with so many front wheel drive vehicles on the roads these days, the rear axles are nothing more than a trailer type setup now. So what is the problem with installing regular car tires for a trailer? Radial car tires will allow lower rolling resistance and tire wear will never be met in mileage. So someone explain it to me... Because that IS my plan...I think...