trailer Rigging

Thomv

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can you please let me know if you think my bunks should be lowered by looking at the pictures. The trailer came with the used boar.
Thanks

UncleWillie

Captain
Re: trailer Rigging

I don't see anything that gets my attention.
A Full side picture might show something.

WHY? do you thing they should be lowered?

Mi duckdown

Commander

The only thing I see is That the bunks should be tilted slightly(SP?) inward, So as the bunks cradle the boat. It looks like the bunks are cradleing ( again SP?) on the edge of the boards.. Hope that works.

Thomv

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't see anything that gets my attention.
A Full side picture might show something.

WHY? do you thing they should be lowered?

I get the impression the boat is seating too high on the trailer. My other boat, a 21 foot Bayliner, has the bottom of the hull much closer to the top of the trailer fenders which is not the case with this boat.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

You can't go by how close or far off the fender the boat is. You have to go by how far off the cross supports the boat is. And after looking at your setup, it doesn't look like you have too much to go before it would be hitting the cross supports. So no I don't think it is too high. But like Mi duckdown suggested, your bunks should be tilted more so that they are up against the boat on the side of the bunks and not just the ends...

Thomv

Petty Officer 1st Class

You can't go by how close or far off the fender the boat is. You have to go by how far off the cross supports the boat is. And after looking at your setup, it doesn't look like you have too much to go before it would be hitting the cross supports. So no I don't think it is too high. But like Mi duckdown suggested, your bunks should be tilted more so that they are up against the boat on the side of the bunks and not just the ends...
I measured and have 3.5 inches between the bottom of my hull to the top of the cross beam. Is this considered average?

I'm with Mi duckdown regarding the cradle. Your bunks should hold against the stringer area. Personally, I don't like that trailer for that hull. I would prefer a more U or V shape (something deeper) but perhaps that's just me. Also, can't see it, but your transom should rest on the bunk as well. FWIW

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

The only thing I see is That the bunks should be tilted slightly(SP?) inward, So as the bunks cradle the boat. It looks like the bunks are cradleing ( again SP?) on the edge of the boards.. Hope that works.

The height looks about right. But as stated above you might want to tilt the bunks so it cradles the boat more. The flat part of the bunk should be flat against the hull on both the outer and bottom bunks. Possibly put some keel rollers on for the keel and loose the lower bunks. This would support the boat better by resting it's weight on the keel, the strongest part of the hull and balancing the boat by using the upper bunks.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

height looks fine BUT if you want to lower it that would be fine too... Those upper bunks aren't designed to tilt in but you COULD cut the tops of them at an angle that matches the boat and re-carpet or move them out just a bit to sit under the strakes... Quite a bit of the weight should be on the keel bunks AND your front bracket is bent from someone hitting it too hard at an angle with the boat.... needs to be straightened

captain zac

Petty Officer 1st Class

Assuming that the tongue wt is correct

If you were to cut the bunks at an angle so that the whole top of the bunk touches the hull (like said above)
then the boat will lower about 2-3 inches
the two small bunks on the bow will also have to be lowered
again can not see the transom but the bunks should support the transom

Harry

coastalrichard

Lieutenant

Appears as if your winch post is located as far forward as it can be on the tongue. Remember, if you lower the boat height on the trailer you will also add length (the bow will contact the winch post sooner than your current setup). Are your bunks long enough to still extend to or beyond the transom?

Thomv

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm with Mi duckdown regarding the cradle. Your bunks should hold against the stringer area. Personally, I don't like that trailer for that hull. I would prefer a more U or V shape (something deeper) but perhaps that's just me. Also, can't see it, but your transom should rest on the bunk as well. FWIW

Actually my bunks extend about a foot past my transom.