My new ELECTRIC trailer brakes

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Well I just tossed all of my old leaky rusted up surge brake stuff in the garbage and now have new dexter electric brakes on both of my 6000 lb axles along with new seals in the hubs.... the 20 year old (and likely never serviced) bearings looked like new but the brakes were GONE. By the time I replaced all 4 brakes and the master cylinder I was looking at over $700.

I got all four electrics for $175 shipped from hitchanything.com
I spent $40 for 50 feet of 12-2 wiring. $36 for break away box with charger, $27 for a 7 blade molded rv pigtail, $8 for 4 seals, and probably another $15 worth of grease also misc shop supplies.

I ran two circuits, one on each side of the trailer so a loss of one would only take out two brakes and it only took about 5 feet more wiring than one circuit to all four would have. All connections were made waterproof and the ground connection is made at the lug on the tongue that the pigtail also hooks to....

I'm VERY pleased with the change and look forward to using them.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Re: My new ELECTRIC trailer brakes

I added electrics to my single axle trailer and I have been very happy with them. Which controller did you get?

Jim

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I have a pendulum type controller in my truck... I don't remember the model but it's probably 8 years old... It works pretty well but not as nice as the latest units... I also have a hand brake lever on my steering column ( custom one off job) that works pretty slick.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Probably not worth replacing if you have a functional one, but the Tekonsha P3 units are very nice...

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

If I ever have to buy another I'd probably get that one.

I'm stoked about these brakes... never have to bleed or adjust em never have to add fluid or worry about water in it and to actually HAVE trailer brakes that work on a boat ramp! I can kill my truck and put it in gear and use the trailer brakes to help hold it while I start the engine.... 20,000 lbs is a bit much for the parking brake on a boat ramp.

all positives and no negatives.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

Smokeonthewater, I'm the first one to admit I know Nothing about trailer brakes but have always put nothing but the best into my boat. I'm towing 9,000+ lbs. (the trailer has a GVWR of 10,000 lbs.) including the trailer behind a '03 Silverado 2500 HD with a 8.1L gas engine. I currently a have surge brake set up hooked up to 4 disk brakes on a Load Right trailer. I boat in salt water exclusively. What would be the advantage of switching over to an electric system over my current set up? The brake lines are starting to look a little crispy so I just assumed I would replace them with Stainless lines once the current ones went, until I read your post. How do the electric ones differ in how they work as compared to my current set up?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

well with a working setup you may have less to gain than me and in salt you PROBABLY want stainless stuff but I prefer electric because they work moving both forward and reverse and because I can adjust them and control them from the driver's seat

Every part of my surge brakes need to be replaced except for the lines which I replaced last year because they were rusted away....

If you want "the very best" look into electric over hydraulic...

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

well with a working setup you may have less to gain than me and in salt you PROBABLY want stainless stuff but I prefer electric because they work moving both forward and reverse and because I can adjust them and control them from the driver's seat

Every part of my surge brakes need to be replaced except for the lines which I replaced last year because they were rusted away....

If you want "the very best" look into electric over hydraulic...

And those would work with disk brakes no problem? I like the idea of being able to control them in reverse and from inside the truck. Do you ever have a problem with the electricity getting back to the brakes from the truck like having to constantly adjust the 4 or 5 prong clip because your trailer lights are flickering or is it a different type of hook up?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Yeah.... Bruceb58 has elec over hyd so I'm sure he'll have something to add on the subject.

I used a 7 blade rv plug I've never had any trouble with those plugs pn other trailers. BUT I don't get in salt water and I use wd40 on em regularly especially if I tow in winter on a salty road.

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander

O.K. Thanks. I use a 7 prong plug into the truck. My problem always comes from the flat 5 prong clip going into the trailer. I guess I should just re-wire from the trailer straight into the 7 prong rv plug. Don't know why I didn't think of that before... DUH :facepalm:

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

So does it have a electric master cyl? Not familiar how they work but there must be more going on because you said keep the lines. I am picturing electric brakes with the solenoids in the brakes like a camping trailer, I don't see how that would last in the water so it must be different???

LK

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

This is what it is. It is basically a hydraulic pump that mounts at your tounge and connects to the vehicle just like electric brakes do.
https://www.easternmarine.com/index...tor-4813100/?gclid=CMnrj4CvmLUCFdSLPAodCmoAKw

I use mine with Kodiak brakes. They are just awesome.

No more worries about using weight distribution hitches either.

Its the best of both worlds because you get to have disk brakes but with electric control. I hate drum brakes. I have had many trailer(not boat trailers) that have had failed magnets. Dunking the magnets will just add to the issues. On a triple axle trailer that my parents had, they replaced many magnets. Not sure if its the vibration or the heat that kills them.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

odd the oldest electric trailer I pull is dad's 1989 5th wheel and the brakes all still work...
I know that the magnets WILL wear but generally that takes a lot of miles... I'm not a huge fan of drums either but for me this was the cheapest way to get GOOD brakes on my trailer since I already had the drums and my hydraulics were dead.... If I had functioning hydraulic discs I wouldn't have changed

I now have a 30' boat trailer, a 10 ton 40+8' gooseneck and my 36' fifth wheel rv (on top of dad's rv) all with electric drum brakes... I'll likely be adding them to my 20' boat trailer.... SOOOOO I guess I'm pretty used to em lol

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I can see why you would go with them due to the cost. I am not a fan. I REALLY like the way mine work. They are expensive but very worth it to me since I am towing my boat with a 1/2T truck and want the best brakes for my trailer I can buy.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I can see that... Like I said above... no denying ele over hyd disc is the very best

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

For the ease of installation and the cost, it's hard to beat electrics. I don't think I'd have gone with them if I dipped in salt water, or if I was pulling a huge trailer, but my one-axle trailer came without brakes and the electrics were pretty economical and they work great.

Jim

Alwhite00

Master Chief Petty Officer

I can't get the link to work. I you have working drum surge brakes can you add the controller to make the stock brakes work? (Obviously getting rid of the master cyl)

LK

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I can't get the link to work. I you have working drum surge brakes can you add the controller to make the stock brakes work? (Obviously getting rid of the master cyl)

LK
Do a search for BrakeRite Electric / Hydraulic Brake Actuator

They have a model for drum and one for disc.

What I did is used the existing coupler and pulled the guts out and bolted it so it no longer slides.

brake.jpg

coupler.jpg