Anybody know where I can get decent tie down straps for the rear?

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade
OK went and spent a ton of money at West Marine, which I have decided I will never buy from again, for multiple reasons. I picked up their premium tie down straps. They are less than 6 months old, and yesterday I picked up the boat to install new brakes on the trailer. On the way home I bumped a curb. Just hard enough to leave a clean spot on my tires, but nothing else happened. BOTH straps snapped. The area where the strap itself wraps around the metal, the metal broke clean off. Not just one, but BOTH. Did I mention I didnt hit the curb that hard. I was just pulling out of a tight parking lot onto the road, no other cars around and I didnt hit it that hard. I might have mentioned that.

SO obviously these things are useless for their intended purpose and that is to keep the boat on the trailer in an emergancy. So what do I use now??? I certainly do not want to be riding around without any.

Thanks in advance
John

phonfish

Cadet
Re: Anybody know where I can get decent tie down straps for the rear?

just checked Bass Pro online catalog. they got em

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah, but are they any good. These West Marine ones look stout and tighten down nice. Or they did until they snapped under very little load. I fear the normal ones you can buy just about anyplace are gonna be pretty much the same.

Does anyone have any experiance in a wreck or ??? with any particular brand??

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I use regular ratchet straps but I do get the real heavy ones of at least 4000 lb

BrianNJ

Petty Officer 3rd Class

These West Marine ones look stout and tighten down nice. Or they did until they snapped under very little load.
You are probably right about this. But don't under estimate the twisting load that could be created by hitting a curb. A trailer only provides limited lateral support. It might be better to break the straps rather than the boat. Of course, others are welcome to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. (Note my rank on this forum.)

If you really feel they failed prematurely, I recommend calling West Marine and see if they stand behind their product.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You are probably right about this. But don't under estimate the twisting load that could be created by hitting a curb. A trailer only provides limited lateral support. It might be better to break the straps rather than the boat. Of course, others are welcome to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about. (Note my rank on this forum.)

If you really feel they failed prematurely, I recommend calling West Marine and see if they stand behind their product.

Well I say hit the curb, I actually rolled over the curb leaving a parking lot. It rolled up on the curb and fell off the other side onto the street. I seriously think they should have held up better than that. I have a huge yellow ratchet strap, like they use to hold down large loads on tractor trailers, on there now. I am thinking I will just leave that. I know that will hold up.

Honestly, in an emergancy situation, I would rather have the boat crack than have it fall off and kill someone because the straps broke.

OH and I am going back to West Marine to try to get then warrantied out. However, I dont trust them now, so not sure its worth it. I have not had any luck with them with any returns. They are reluctant to stand behind their products, and I have had several issues in the past with their stuff and their lousy advice. They told me I was required to have something on the boat according to Florida law, and it turned out that I did not, so I tried to return the item and they refused to give me anything, even a store credit. That is the most blatant issue, I have had other smaller issues too.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I've used the big 2" truck straps more than once.... I'd DEMAND my money back on those straps and I'm quite certain I'd get it tho it might take talking to several people up the chain of command...

FWIW a good way to keep straps working well for a much longer time is to remove them and store out of the weather/sun while not towing.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

In fairness to West, they didn't make the straps, and I've had nothing but great experiences with the customer service at my local store.

FWIW, I used a heavy duty ratchet strap on my 24', that I bought from Home Depot... but I never hit or rolled over a curb, so can't comment on their strength under stress.

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

In fairness to West, they didn't make the straps, and I've had nothing but great experiences with the customer service at my local store.

FWIW, I used a heavy duty ratchet strap on my 24', that I bought from Home Depot... but I never hit or rolled over a curb, so can't comment on their strength under stress.

Now see my experiance has been just the oposite. Especially with the one in Sanford FL. They are very condescending. I have been boating all my life, and every time I go in there, it seems like, once they find out I do not have a sail boat, they turn on this attitude. As if I have never actually been on a boat before and they are the Gods I need to make it through my first launch. They actually swore up and down I needed flares on my boat, even though I NEVER take it offshore or in the Gulf. The law, as I remembered it at the time, stated that you only need flares if you are going offshore, or in the Gulf, or if you are in an inlet or tributary that is more than 2miles between shorelines. They said absolutely not, that I needed them no matter what to be legal on the intercoastal. I asked if this is some new thing, and they said it has always been that way. I though maybe I had missed something in the law, so I bought them. Turns out I was correct, and when I went to return them, because of their bad advise, and only their bad advise, they said no returns on flares. No acceptions, and again swore up and down that I was wrong. I have had several run ins with them in the past similar to this one, but this is the only time I took their poor advise.

These straps have the West Marine logo all over them, so NO they probably did not make them, but they are promoting them as their own.

Like I said, I simply rolled over the curb. Extremely slowly because the exit road was too small for me to get out without doing so. I watched the trailer flex a bit, but the boat did not seem to move at all, but popped both straps.

They still look like brand new, and have never been left outside while being stored. I keep them in the truck and only put them on when I transport the boat, mainly because I dry store it at a marina and most of the time just put it in the water there. So they are not sun damaged, although I am not sure how the metal could be sun damaged. The strap itself did not break, it was the metal clasp which is still just as shiney as the day I bought them.

I am going to bring them back in to West Marine, but I am betting if they offer me anything at all, it will be only a replacement. Not sure I want another set of these. Like I said, if they broke under such little stress, I cant imagine they would hold up at all in a real panic situation.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

If they sit in the sun at all they will deteriorate fast. When my straps sit in the sun, I take them off and store them in the shade.

edit: just ready your last post. :facepalm:

Thalasso

Commander

They are sold on this site. Go up top and click on boat parts and acc. do a search for tie down straps. $13.00 for two

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

My experience with WM has been nothing sort of outstanding. If IBoats doesn't carry it I go there to my local WM store. Doesn't matter if its not in their catalog. If its available from ANY source, they will order it for me directly from the Manufacturer and not even charge for shipping.

If it was a Tie Down Engineering or another brand, then you would be on your own. They would tell you to contact the manufacturer. In this case, with their brand on the item, they should reimburse you for the cost. Personally, I wouldn't accept a replacement, I would insist on a refund, to be credited for a name brand item that they carry in the store.

Many years ago I was involved in a rear end collision on the highway at about 30 mph, with me standing still. The trailer tongue split in half, the bow eye pulled out of the stem and the boat went careening across 2 lanes of traffic. The transom tie downs stayed intact and kept the transom right on the back end of the trailer.

The metal parts of your tie downs had bad heat treating. Show them to the store, insist to see the Manager and take it to Corporate if you don't get satisfaction.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

PS - to answer your original question per the title of the post......"Tie Down Engineering" mfgs a very stout and robust tie down.

Fed

Commander

Have you got a picture of the broken bits?

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

In response to you original query, go to CustomTieDowns.com - Ratchet Straps, Tie Down Hardware, And Webbing, look up product #2219. It's a 10000lb 2" strap with heavy duty hooks. It can be ordered in a variety of colors, imprinted with information of your choice (like your name or boat name), and the ends can be ordered in different styles, and lengths. The price is also reasonable for the quality.

One thing tho, is the color will bleed onto your boat until they age a little.

I use them for both the transom and gunnel strapping.Boat pics 005.JPG

Thalasso

Commander

In response to you original query, go to CustomTieDowns.com - Ratchet Straps, Tie Down Hardware, And Webbing, look up product #2219. It's a 10000lb 2" strap with heavy duty hooks. It can be ordered in a variety of colors, imprinted with information of your choice (like your name or boat name), and the ends can be ordered in different styles, and lengths. The price is also reasonable for the quality.

I use them for both the transom and gunnel strapping.View attachment 180147

10000lb straps? A little over kill isn't it? Your only securing the trailer to the boat not the boat to the trailer.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

10000lb straps? A little over kill isn't it? Your only securing the trailer to the boat not the boat to the trailer.
Wrong! you are securing the boat to the tow vehicle VIA the trailer.... just because the trailer is lighter doesn't negate the weight of the cargo.

Thalasso

Commander

Wrong! you are securing the boat to the tow vehicle VIA the trailer.... just because the trailer is lighter doesn't negate the weight of the cargo.

Well i guess my point is if you hit something or the trailer comes loose you want the trailer and boat to stay attached. The trailer doesn't weigh (in this case ) 10000 lbs so the straps would have to be rated for the trailer weight because it is securing the trailer to the boat. If that makes any logic.:) Is it tomato or tomughto

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The trailer doesn't weigh (in this case ) 10000 lbs so the straps would have to be rated for the trailer weight because it is securing the trailer to the boat.
Good point.

Only issue for having the heavy strap is that its not a steady load. Its an impulse so maybe you need a starp rated for a lot more. Plus as the strap wears from weather,it has some margin

mnypitboat

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I use them for both the transom and gunnel strapping.View attachment 180147

I actually have a huge strap I tried to go over the gunnels with but the shape of the top of the boat does not allow it. I tightened the crap out of it and it keeps getting loose with just a quick run around the block. Do you attatch it to your cleats? I tried it in a bunch of differant positions but cant find a place where it stays tight. I will take a look at those other ones for the transom straps for sure.