Harbor freight trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfirst

Petty Officer 1st Class
Does anyone know if this small trailers can be registered at the Dmv and given a title? Just a thought if people can not be helped with the sellers who sell with no title or people that need help and the Dmv won't help them in registering,and many states a bill of sale will not get a registration anymore its a shame honest people try to get a trailer registered buy it with hard earned American money and the Dmv seems not to care.

Godfirst

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Harbor freight trailer

just a suggestion and a consideration

NYBo

Admiral

Of course they can be registered. Titling depends on which state you're in, but the paperwork will be given to you at the time of sale. But what exactly are you getting at? If you are hinting that such a cheap trailer be used to obtain credentials for a used trailer without them, that's still fraud.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

If you buy it new from HF it will come with a certificate of origin, which will allow a trouble free registration.

If you buy it used from a third party, and he doesn't have the paperwork, consider it to be a parts trailer and pay accordingly.

The DMV is there to look out for people who might have had their trailer stolen. If a stupid owner carelessly loses his papers, then the accompanying loss in value should be on their shoulders.

If you spend your hard earned money on an item with no papers, that's not the DMV's fault. Best to be an educated consumer and only buy things that are proven to be legal in the first place.

OTOH, HF trailers are mostly crap anyway, thus accounting for their cheap price.

dlngr

Chief Petty Officer

New cars come out of the factory without titles,too. They get titled in the state that they are sold in.

bigdee

Commander

OTOH, HF trailers are mostly crap anyway, thus accounting for their cheap price.

Not true, I have assembled 4 of them that have accumulated thousands of miles with no issues. They are an exceptional value for the money.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

I have also bought and used 2 with no problems, and the ones I got were easy to tittle.

Godfirst

Petty Officer 1st Class

Jims123
Your forgeting many stipulalations and all states have different laws on trailers registration weight, length etc; the reality is trailers across the US aren't all registered boaters tend to be not always compliant to states beauracy and needless fees one example is the used tax fees implied to all new buyers boaters get into the water to get away from all this no lanes or highways or brainwashing the Dmv is not to look out for anyone but to tax and impose laws I did not vote for.

Godfirst

Petty Officer 1st Class

Not all laws are good ones but I will always make a ethical decision

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Maybe you should move to a state that accepts a Bill of Sale for registration if you're having difficulties titling a trailer... or maybe a different country?

... or you could make sure all the paper work is in order before you purchase an item.

JoLin

Vice Admiral

Jims123
Your forgeting many stipulalations and all states have different laws on trailers registration weight, length etc; the reality is trailers across the US aren't all registered boaters tend to be not always compliant to states beauracy and needless fees one example is the used tax fees implied to all new buyers boaters get into the water to get away from all this no lanes or highways or brainwashing the Dmv is not to look out for anyone but to tax and impose laws I did not vote for.

Unfortunately, too many people buy an unregistered trailer and believe the seller's BS about how easy it is to register it as home-built. Depending on the state it might be true, might not... but I have better things to do with my time. Far as I'm concerned, if it's that easy the seller can do it and call me back when it's registered.

Buyers are supposed to understand the titling laws in their state before they buy. If they don't bother, that isn't the DMV's fault.

My .02

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I've had a cheap harbor freight 4x8 for about 10 years that I've put through hell and back! Its rated for about 1000# of cargo, I've had somewhere around 2500# on it! (offroad/private property only for the safety nazi's about to jump on that... moving dirt from pile A to pile B) The axle was visibly bent up, but snapped right back with the load off... I've towed it on 300+ mile road trips with cargo, and have yet to ever pull a bearing apart.

Really couldn't ask for a better trailer... No complaints at least, it does its job and doesn't fall apart. The ONLY maintenance I've done was to replace a couple bolts because I didn't use enough threadlock, and replacing the coupler with a 2" instead of 1 7/8.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

While many laws may seem stupid and simply meant to make your life difficult, the fact is, in this example, the DMV does exist for the protection of the many. Without it there would be total anarchy on the road and in the water. Yes, some enforcement officials are lazy and will not help while others take advantage of their position---but this is true across the whole population in all jobs. Instead of complaining, understand what is needed before you buy and work within "the system."

And please use some punctuation-- A couple of periods and commas will make it so much easier to read your paragraphs.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Jims123
Your forgeting..... boaters tend to be not always compliant to states beauracy........... and Dmv is not to look out for anyone but to tax and impose laws I did not vote for.

No I remembered all about it for sure...

That's the problem - the solution is to not buy from non-compliant sellers...

THE DMV is there to look out for YOU....(tough you should get your rig stolen)

But in fact you DID vote for the law - you put the idiot in office that wrote the law....LOL.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Not true, I have assembled 4 of them that have accumulated thousands of miles with no issues. They are an exceptional value for the money.

My bad then. A few years ago I moved only 2 blocks, so I bought one from HF rather than rent a U-Haul. Looked cheap and chinsy to me. The metal was thin, when I stood on the frame it seemed to buckle and the tires were pure crap. I would have changed them out for sure. When I finished the move, I sold the finished trailer for a profit, so I was happy. Maybe if I had kept it longer I would have had a different opinion.

NYBo

Admiral

I'd still like to know what the OP was trying to tell us. It doesn't sound like he was proposing using a Harbor Freight trailer to actually haul a boat.

Godfirst

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'am not going to argue with anyone seems like we have to many fundalmentalist conservatives replying to this post and I got into boating to get away from guys like you but No man is own island I need a island with some of these remarks.....

Take care

NYBo

Admiral

I'am not going to argue with anyone seems like we have to many fundalmentalist conservatives replying to this post and I got into boating to get away from guys like you but No man is own island I need a island with some of these remarks.....

Take care
I have no idea what you're talking about. But this is the first time I've been referred to as a "fundamentalist conservative," which, if you knew me, would be about the last thing I am.:confused:

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer

If there is an ongoing issue with Harbor Freight stuff, it is the nuts and bolts that are included are usually crap. Replace them when you put the thing together and you end up with a much better product.

Status
Not open for further replies.