Sometimes I think grease fittings on bearing hubs should be outlawed

pullin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I didn't want to use a particular manufacturer's name, since it's not their fault. I pulled the hubs off the used boat trailer I bought and the previous owner had managed to completely blow the seals with his grease gun. In one case the seal was actually off the spindle and backed up against the axle plate. I wonder at what point he would've investigated the constant need to pump grease into them ("Gee, Where's it all going?"). The brake assemblies were completely full of grease. So full I actually couldn't see the individual parts. I spent hours cleaning and de-greasing the brake assemblies, and at one point I was so disgusted I started to just yank'em and replace with new from Tractor Supply.

Dear Previous Owner; You told me the surge brakes didn't work... I think I found the reason. :rolleyes:

Have any of ya'll ever encountered this? After spending the whole day, I now have working brakes (and clean fenders and wheels). There should be a class for new boat owners called: "Wheel hubs do not hold 3 gallons of grease." Or something to that effect.

Criminy.

lrak

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Sometimes I think grease fittings on bearing hubs should be outlawed

There should be a class for new boat owners called: "Wheel hubs do not hold 3 gallons of grease."

A different point of view -

When I was a new boat owner I had Reliable Sure Lube hubs that do hold 3 quarts of grease and the excess will eventually flow out a hole in the center of the axle. I replaced the bearings and grease seals on that trailer just over a year ago ... after 19.5 years of use.

SureLubeSpindles.JPG

Every other system I've used simply sucks in comparison. It is the manufacturer's fault - for not using a similar system that allows you to get new grease into the inside bearing without either replacing the seals or blowing out the seals.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

No one ever said you have to know how things work to own a boat. :brick:

Bifflefan

Commander

I agree, any of those so called grease-able hubs should be tossed in the trash.
I have not, nor will I ever use them. I pack the bearing properly once a year and make sure the seals and caps are good and tight. I have never had any issues doing this on any trailer, boat or other wise.

Now my brand new boat has "Vault Hubs" which comes with a ten year no maintenance unlimited mileage warranty. They are also pressurized so they can not let water in. I can't wait to use them.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral

Waits to see if this going be the yearly hub thread. :popcorn::deadhorse:

Personal I have been very happy with my Dexter safety lube hubs.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

You all might want to clarify exactly what type of hub or grease nipple you are referring to, as there are many.

Some are just a cap with a grease nipple. Pretty much useless.
Some are spring loaded "bearing buddy" type. Often mis-used, but usually effective if used properly.
Some are spindle lube, saf t lube, sure lube, e z lube. Pretty darn wonderful IMO.

Then there is the oil bath, and the vault.
But I often worry about such specialized systems. In the event of a failure/accident/or defect, you are dead in the water, as they can not readily be repaired or replaced to get you back on the road.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You see all the time, people on here that say they give their Bearing Buddy style caps a couple squirts of grease every time they go out. Just like anything else, if you do things improperly, there are consequences.

moi

Petty Officer 3rd Class

:popcorn:I'm with Irak. Got the Reliable Sure Lube System too and it works like a charm.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Well, I got the Wal Mart bearing protectors (forget the name) and they have a pressure relief hole so you can not overfill them. So, yes, I give them a couple of pumps when I see the spring decompressing--pump 'em until grease starts to issue from the relief.

My big trailer has the (I think) sure lube hubs. I pump them until I see grease issuing out the back of the spindle. No problems in at least ten years.

bigdee

Commander

You see all the time, people on here that say they give their Bearing Buddy style caps a couple squirts of grease every time they go out. Just like anything else, if you do things improperly, there are consequences.

^^^^^AGREE^^^^^ All that is needed adequate lubrication is a film of grease (bearing cage hand packed) not globs and globs in the cavity of the hub.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Unless you put a gazillion miles on a trailer, they should not need any type of external grease insertion mechanism. Pull the hubs, remove the seal, clean and inspect the bearings, replace any as needed, repack, reinstall, set the preload properly and go trailering. Periodic checks of the back side of the wheel for signs of grease slinging is all that's necessary. You put grease in when you packed the bearings. Unless it leaks out it doesn't go away. Bearing Buddies and similar products are not replacements for periodic hub disassembly and inspection. They, like so many accessories are designed to make your wallet lighter.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Bearing Buddies and similar products are not replacements for periodic hub disassembly and inspection. They, like so many accessories are designed to make your wallet lighter.
I disagree. Bearing Buddys are good if used correctly. Fill the entire hub with grease and they put a slight positive pressure on the entire hub cavity to keep water from getting in.

Lone Duck

Master Chief Petty Officer

I disagree. Bearing Buddys are good if used correctly. Fill the entire hub with grease and they put a slight positive pressure on the entire hub cavity to keep water from getting in.

Bingo!!

Outsider

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Pull the hubs, remove the seal, clean and inspect the bearings, replace any as needed, repack, reinstall, set the preload properly and go trailering.

Or use your Shur-lube axles properly and only have to do that every few years. I do agree that seals should be inspected regularly ... :joyous:

bigdee

Commander

I'll second that. IMO any trailer hub that gets submerged would be better served if it had BBs. The concept is sound & logical,IF maintained and used properly.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Or use your Shur-lube axles properly and only have to do that every few years. I do agree that seals should be inspected regularly ... :joyous:
That is of course if you already have Shur-lube axles. I guess I missed the part where the OP said he had those! :)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Double lip seals prevent water intrusion. No moving parts Bearing buddies and similar products have several places for
grease leakage and water intrusion.

skyking897

Petty Officer 1st Class

To the OP, not a boat trailer but an old Jeep. My cousin bought this old jeep from a neighbor of his. He was told the brakes aren't very good, be careful. Seems the brakes squealed real bad, like a bus, so the neighbor put grease fittings in the backing plates and proceded to pump grease into the rear brakes. No wonder it didn't stop very good, but it didnt squeal. It's not just boats/trailers, it happens with everything, people just don't know what the h*ll they are doing.

gm280

Supreme Mariner

I'll have to agree with "bigdee" on this one. Properly cleaned and hand-packed bearings and a good quality rear seal is really all you will ever need. I've run bearing buddies and such and seriously, they still have potential to suck in water if they are even a little warmer then the water they are being submerged in. That is physics folks. So yearly take a few minutes and clean inspect your trailer tires, lights, wiring, runners, bunks, rollers and for sure wheel bearings is all it really takes. Simple preventative maintance…

1216bandit

Petty Officer 1st Class

I went through the exact same thing and man it was one heck of a mess, and like you, it took lots of cleaning! The shoes were saturated and I heard they could be cleaned and used again but I was not about to take the chance. I went with new backing plates which came with cylinders, shoes and everything for just a few bucks more than just the shoes.